Solved

Sign Up Form Targeting: avoiding returning customers seeing new customer incentive

• 31 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

HEY ALL,

In the run up to Black Friday Cyber Monday our sales decrease as people hold out hoping for deals.

BACKGROUND

We are running a sign up incentive until 10th November to offer New Profiles / New Customers 10% off to sign up.

A new customer is: someone who has never made a purchase from us and has not subscribed to any marketing lists.

I don’t want this offer to show to existing subscribers or existing customers as we want new people to try shopping with us. I don’t want existing customers to unsubscribe or use alternative emails just to sign up and get the offer. 

Existing customers: anyone who has made a purchase in the last 15 months  AND/OR they may be a subscriber to our marketing lists. 

I want to gain as many new sign ups as possible before BFCM. 

Incentive Sign up form: in the targeting & behavior section I am excluding anyone on my Main Newsletter lists AND a segment of customers who have purchased at least once in the last 15 months.

Welcome Flow: for this short incentive period I have used a Conditional Split to determine if a profile was shown our incentive pop up and thus gets a welcome email with a code or a regular pop up (regular is for existing only without code). 

My issue:

If a customer who is already a subscriber views the site using private browsing/incognito browsing or switches to a different computer/device there won't be any data for Klaviyo and the sign up with incentive will be shown. That’s ok. We don’t mind giving out the discount. 

However, some existing subscribers saw the incentive and filled in their email. As they are already a member of the newsletter list they DID NOT enter the Welcome Email Flow. They did not get the unique code.

And of course, the customers got upset. 
What should I do to avoid that happening?

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 31 October 2023, 13:18

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @clairebeaumont 

As your flow is list triggered, as you say, existing list members won't enter it if they sign-up again to that list via any form associated with that list, so they won't receive any of the messages.

I've considered some options but I think all have issues. I think the best solution would be to create a separate BFCM list for your BFCM form and a separate BFCM welcome flow triggered from the BFCM list. That way new contacts added to the BCFM list get the 10% offer, and so too do the subset of existing contacts who somehow see that form and subscribe.

With that approach, you would obviously need to delete the conditional split and the YES branch from your standard, no discount welcome series.

After the BFCM campaign, you could consolidate lists if you want, by exporting the BCFM list and re-import that into your main list.

Unless anyone else has a better solution?

Regards

Andy

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @clairebeaumont ,

Are you opposed to putting the discount code on the end screen of the pop up? I know this isn't ideal for a number of reasons, one of which being that people might unsubscribe after seeing the discount code. Although if they make a purchase, they should go down some sort of post purchase flow. 

However, it would alleviate the code issue with the welcome flow. 

Otherwise, I think what @bluesnapper suggested is a good way to differentiate. Hope this helps

Katherine 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks @KatherineB and @bluesnapper for taking a look and considering my options.

I’ve put Bluesnapper’s suggestion live, I tried to use a unique code on a sign up form in the past and we had an unsubscribe rate so I thought I’d test this approach. I’m in the UK so I can only run a post-purchase flow if they remain a subscriber otherwise its conflicts with our consent laws.

And typical! The first customer to sign up to the new list was already a subscriber and purchased at the beginning of the month. But at least they got their discount!

One more question is when I consolidate the lists/merge. The BFCM Incentive List will be added to the Main Newsletter List and when that happens they’ll enter the original Welcome Flow and get duplicate emails.

Should I put in a conditional split or amend the trigger before I perform the merge. Is another way I should handle this?

My intention was nurture these BFCM Incentive Profiles as they will be a bit more flaky but I’d like to move them onto my main list eventually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @clairebeaumont 

Good point and remiss of me not to address that!

If you add an AND trigger filter to your standard welcome flow ‘If someone is NOT in [BFCM] list’ that will stop those imported contacts from going though the flow when you import them into your main list. 

Regards

Andy

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@KatherineB I’ve got another question for you. 

I would like to try putting the code in the pop up as a test versus traditional method. 

What if someone makes an error and doesn’t copy the code e.g closes the browser, or copies the code then copies other text.

Is it possible to send them a follow up email as part of the welcome series with the same code? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @clairebeaumont great question! In this case I sometimes find it easiest to use a hidden profile property on your form. For example, property = opt in discount with a boolean value of “true” or you could use a text value for the discount name or something. Then you could create a conditional split in your flow based on the variation of the form someone viewed, and if they received the discount code variation and haven’t made a purchase yet then you could have a follow up email go out.

In addition to hidden profile properties, you could also use the form variation ID as the conditional split. When in your form, the letter/number combination in the URL after “/forms/” is the form ID. The numbers after “/variations/” is the form variation ID. So I would make a conditional split in my flow like below: (with your form id/variation ID)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@KatherineB thanks very much. 

We had a great BFCM with more sign ups than previous years (though last year we weren’t using Klaviyo, but another provider). 

Thanks for everyone’s help in my query. Now to nurture! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

So pleased it went well for you @clairebeaumont !

Regards

Andy