Solved

Signup form: Customer enters twice

• 28 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi all,

We are looking into improving our welcome flow and noticed that we have some customers who enter the flow twice.

The flow is entered via the sign up form and we have a split for people who are not on the list (new customers) and existing customers.
The existing customers normally don’t see the pop up/sign up form again but sometimes they do if they go on another PC (i think?) which sees them as a new customer.

Is there a way to have the sign up form give a warning like: this email adres is already used or anything within the pop up.

This because they can enter their mail again and confirm it but klaviyo wont send them any mail.
If they would receive a mail while being already subscribed and used the discount before we could tell them in the email, however the email we made for existing customers doesnt get send 

Hope the question is clear and anybody can help me out! Thanks.

icon

Best answer by StefanUE 28 March 2024, 17:24

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@csbrnk hey there, thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I’ve taken a screenshot of a setting I’d like to you double-check on your popup:

Is the “Visitors” section in your targeting options set up to not show to existing Klaviyo profiles?

This might be a silly question but that’s the first thing that comes to mind. This would then not show up to any profiles unless they use “incognito” mode or they are using a different browser (doesn’t have to be on a different device, but it most likely is).

Right now, there’s no option to send a warning that an email address exists (and this is a very popular feature request which should be enabled any day now), but rest assured, no matter how many times a person submits their email, they will still receive just one flow email. You can also use third party apps and tools to create popups outside of Klaviyo, which may have this feature enabled.

They should also be eligible to receive all of your other active automation, provided they fulfill the flow filters.

Hope this answers your question, happy to chat further!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Welcome to the community @csbrnk 

Unfortunately there is no way I know to prevent a contact who is in already your list from submitting the form again if they see it, or having a lookup to check if they’re already in the list then present a message to them.

As you say, the targeting controls you have for the form will miminise the chances of this happening but can’t prevent it completely should they see the form (cookies blocked, different device etc). They won’t get an email from that list-triggered flow as they’’re already in the list.

There is a workaround I can think of. Here are the steps, though I’ve not had chance to test it. 

1. Add a custom profile property on your form ‘welcome list’ that gets set to false (boolean)
  2. In your list-triggered welcome flow, add update custom property ‘welcome list’ as the first step that gets set to true (boolean)
  3. Create a segment with $source equals [name for your form] AND ‘welcome list’ is false (boolean). Let’s call this ‘existing list contacts segment’. 
  4. Create a segment-triggered flow using the segment in 3. Let’s call this ‘existing list contacts flow’. This has your messages tailored to your existing list contacts. Set a condition of never been in this flow to avoid them entering more than once for any reason.

List triggered flows are usually immediate whereas there can be a delay in segment triggered flows. However I would add a short time delay as the first step to the segment triggered flow. That should ensure that ‘welcome list’ gets set to true in your welcome flow before the segment triggered flow fires off any emails.

Some scenarios with the set-up to test the theory:

• A new contact will get ‘welcome list’ set to false when they submit the form. They are added to your list and enter your welcome flow. They will have  ‘welcome list’ updated to true on the first step therefore they won’t enter your ‘existing list contacts segment’ nor will they enter the ‘existing list contacts flow’ triggered by that segment
  • A contact already in your welcome list will get ‘welcome list’ set to false by for form. They won’t enter your welcome flow (already in the list) and so won’t get ‘welcome list’ set to true by that flow. However, they will enter your ‘existing list contacts segment’ - $source equals [name for your form] AND ‘welcome list’ is false - and they will they enter the ‘existing list contacts flow’. Your message could just be an acknowledgment that they’ve joined your list or you can add conditional splits that check for redeemed discount and tailor your messages.

Phew! As I say this is off the top of my head so please sanity check and test while manual!

Let me know how you get on or any questions,

Andy