Skip to main content
Solved

Targeting existing profiles who are not in a specific segment

• 6 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi! I have two different signup forms designed to collect birthdays:

One is targeted for visitors without a profile, so it collects email, name, bday in order to create a new profile.

The other is targeting existing profiles without birthdays in their profile. The form is designed to create a more personalized feel by identifying the person as a current subscriber and asking to get their birthday added (with an “Update My Profile” button for submission). 

I created a segment that identifies subscribers who have a birthday in their profile. I haven’t figured out how to create a segment for those who DON’T have a birthday.

So with that, I’m struggling with how to target this second form to only show to profiles without a birthday. If I select the targeting “Show to specific profiles in a list or segment,” I don’t have a list/segment specific to those without a birthday (only a segment with those who DO). If I use that segment under the “Exclude these lists and segments,” it will target ANYONE not in that segment (visitors and existing profiles alike). That target is only option that allows you to focus on a specific group...but I can’t figure out how to hone in on the group I need!!  None of the other targeting options allows for drilling down into a group.

Any thoughts or suggestions on whether or not it’s possible to use this form to target existing profiles without certain profile properties??

Would using the settings below identify the visitor as being a profile (because they’re included in the segments listed) - narrowing down to existing profiles, but exclude them if they are in the segment “Customer Birthday in Profile” that I created - narrowing down to profiles who don’t have a birthday?

Hopefully this makes sense!!  :)  Thanks so much!!!

Nan 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@Nanette 

The easiest setup here for you would be to create a segment of those that don’t have the birthday property and I know it may looks complicated but that segment is actually pretty simple to create..

Here is example 

All you need to do is just pick the property for birthday that you are using (in this case it is DateOfBirth but yours may be different, Birthday or whatever you are using as the birthday property), set the type to text, and then from the option just pick is not set.

Segment set up like this will show you all the profiles who don’t have that property

Badge +2

@Nanette

The easiest setup here for you would be to create a segment of those that don’t have the birthday property and I know it may looks complicated but that segment is actually pretty simple to create..

Here is example 

All you need to do is just pick the property for birthday that you are using (in this case it is DateOfBirth but yours may be different, Birthday or whatever you are using as the birthday property), set the type to text, and then from the option just pick is not set.

Segment set up like this will show you all the profiles who don’t have that property

Hi @Bobi N.

Thanks so much for your response! I actually tried that, but the problem is, my Birthday property is a date (not text) field and the option “is not set” isn’t available for a date field

My snippet tool wouldn’t grab the drop-down fields, but the only options are:

is in the last

is at least

is between

is in the next

is before

is after

is between dates

day is today

day is in the next

day is in the last

day is in this month

day is in month of

So, I’m stuck where I was!!!  Any other thoughts on how I can manipulate the definition of the segment??

Thanks, 

Nan

Userlevel 7
Badge +42

@Nanette 

It doesn’t matter that it is date property, it is supposed to be date property. You can still change the type to text and pick the option not set, it will work as you need. It will show you all the profiles that don’t have that property on their profile yet.

Badge +2

@Bobi N. 

Well, you learn something new every day!!!!  I didn’t realize you could select a different property to define the segment!!!  But, voila!!  It worked...YAY!!  Thank you so much!  😊