AMA: All things SMS

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Klaviyo’s Growth Success Team hosts LIVE AMA’s on Thursdays are noon (EST)

To join, sign up here: SMS AMA

Scroll to the bottom of this page to thread your questions and we will answer them live!

11 replies

Badge +1

My ROI on Flows is pretty good 20x

but the Campaigns are barely even making even. Can you give me tips optimizing one off promotions, who to send it, how often, what converts well?

Badge

When will text to buy be available in Australia? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

What ideas/campaigns do you use for SMS marketing? I usually just include bigger discounts for flash sales, but I wanted to see what other ideas would be good to try. 

Badge +6

My ROI on Flows is pretty good 20x

but the Campaigns are barely even making even. Can you give me tips optimizing one off promotions, who to send it, how often, what converts well?

Hi Sziszi! Thanks for sending over this question.

To improve SMS Campaign performance, there are three factors at play: Audience, Send Time, and Content

For audience, we recommend trying out new segments such as Engaged Segments based on recently clicking or subscribing to SMS, VIP segments, and interest-specific segments (such as people who recently viewed or started checkout on a collection that is now on sale). 

For send times, try setting up an A/B test by send time to see if you have better returns on an SMS sent in the morning vs the afternoon.  If you are hosting a sale, try sending the SMS message out an hour before your email campaign to create a value prop for those who have signed up for SMS.

In terms of content, make sure that you are keeping your message short and sweet with a single CTA and be sure to use more of a conversational tone.

Badge +6

When will text to buy be available in Australia? 

Hi Stacey!  Thanks for sending over this question for today’s SMS AMA session.

Text to buy is expected to be released in Q3 for Shopify Customers.  Feel free to join the waitlist here: https://www.klaviyo.com/sms-marketing/text-to-buy

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Question from the Live Session:

Are the image-based SMS messages harder to upload on the customer's phone?

Not that we are aware of.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Any innovative ways to attract more new subscribers to your SMS list?

One example is using the Instagram swipe up feature: Help Article: IG SMS Consent Collection

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

What is the ideal content schedule for sending SMS messages?

AND 

What is the difference in strategy & psychology of SMS vs Email, as email can be "quieter", and  SMS can be more "annoying" if over used. (my opinion)

When just starting out, we recommend 2-4 messages a month. That isn’t to say EVERY subscribers should receive 2-4 messages, rather you should be Segmenting to target customers based on engagement, interests, and actions on site. 

Once you have fully ramped up your SMS program, the best practice would be up to 7 Campaign messages a month. 

In addition to this, having high traffic Flows like Abandon Cart and Winback live with SMS is recommended. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Do you have a link to the wording we need to use to notify our visitors of our sms use?

Here are a few links you can use to collect explicit consent :

Create a Mobile Terms of Service

SMS Privacy Policy Best Practices

Guide to Collecting SMS Consent

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

I'm having an issue with adding SMS contacts that have already given us SMS consent. This is a question for those wanting to transfer over to Klaviyo from another SMS platform.

Here is a great guide that shows you how to Import SMS Contacts from a previous provider. Help Article: Migrating from another SMS Platform

If you come across any challenges with this upload, I recommend reaching out to our Product Experts - support@klaviyo.com

Badge +6

What ideas/campaigns do you use for SMS marketing? I usually just include bigger discounts for flash sales, but I wanted to see what other ideas would be good to try. 

Hi Sarah! Thanks for sending over this great question before today’s SMS AMA session.

It’s awesome to hear that you have been using Klaviyo SMS Campaigns for discounts and flash sales, here are some other ideas you can try out with your audience:

• Sale Announcements

• Holiday Promotion

• New Product Announcement

• VIP / Early Access

• Restock Announcement

• Highlighting Blogs

• Exclusive 101 tips provided only through SMS

• Event Reminders

• Celebrate National Holidays

Once you send out some of these campaigns, we would love to hear about your results! Feel free to thread here.