Solved

Can I remove Canada from my SMS campaign?

Badge +1

I don’t ship to Canada but have SMS subscribers from Canada. How can I avoid sending to them? Do I have to make a new segment of the SMS subscribers? 

icon

Best answer by Bobi N. 2 May 2022, 07:59

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

@dasha 

You can create a segment with definition:

• Property about someone - Country - Canada

And than simply exclude this segment from the SMS campaign

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Also, to add to this, to prevent more Canadians getting on the SMS and email list (sounds like you wouldn't want to send an email to them either if you don't ship there), is pop your primary way to capture subscribers? 

If so, prevent the pop up to show for visitors arriving from Canada.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey @dasha,

You don’t want to show popup to the Canada customer’s 

Here how you do it:

Klaviyo’s signup form behaviors can only be set to either target or not target users by location based on the country they are in.

One work around to this would be to create a segment within your account with the definitions of “Properties about someone, Location (City, State, Country, etc) equals X” capturing the location you did not want to target.

You can then use the use the Target visitors in a list or segment signup form behavior setting and designate this newly created segment as the group you do not want the form to be targeting. This in turn would exclude the form from appear to contacts who are identified by this segment as being in a specific location. 

Keep in mind though that this would only work for contacts whose location has already been identified by Klaviyo. For contacts who have not yet been identified by Klaviyo through cookies, using a private or incognito browser, using a VPN, etc, this strategy would not work and the form would still appear for these contacts despite being in that designated location. 

You can learn more about how Klaviyo is able to identify a contacts location and how Klaviyo identifies users from the following resources:

Let me know if you’ve any questions

Badge +2

I’ve made the SMS Canada list and excluded them from my SMS send. But when I am scheduling the campaign, I get a notice that I will be charged for sending  to Canadian numbers. SOOOOOO, what’s not working? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Bike Pretty,

Sounds like the segment/list you’re using to exclude Canadian numbers may have missed some numbers. Do you happen to be using the segment definition suggested by @Bobi N. of Property about someone - Country - Canada?

Although using location targeting is a great means to identify users, it’s not always 100% accurate. This ties back into what @ayyub_here mentioned before:

Keep in mind though that this would only work for contacts whose location has already been identified by Klaviyo. For contacts who have not yet been identified by Klaviyo through cookies, using a private or incognito browser, using a VPN, etc, this strategy would not work and the form would still appear for these contacts despite being in that designated location.

You’ll want to keep in mind that when sending SMS, it’s not based on a user’s physical or listed location, but rather based on their phone number’s country code. 

For example, if I subscribed and was being identified as being in Boston, MA USA, but my phone number is a Canadian number, then I wouldn’t be captured by that exclusion segment you’re using. That scheduled campaign would still be sent to me. 

A more accurate segment definition you could use would be “What someone has done, Consented to Receive SMS at least once where From Phone Region Equals X”. There are some caveats to this definition as well, but it would typically be more accurate than a location segment. 

David

Badge +2

Yes, I used Bobi’s segment to exclude the Canadian numbers. That’s why I’m commenting on this thread.

You’ll want to keep in mind that when I’m excluding profiles located in Canada it’s because I don’t want to be charged 3x as many credits just to send a Canadian number an SMS.

If you had a more accurate segment definition, why didn’t you pop that into thread earlier? Clearly there’s information that links how many credits I’m being charged per SMS based on whether or not the profile is in Canada from a billing point of view. 

Badge +2
“What someone has done, Consented to Receive SMS at least once where From Phone Region Equals X” 

When I created this version of my Canada segment, it returned 0 profiles.

So I tested the billing ramifications in the campaign scheduler, lo and behold, 7 estimated-Canadian SMS profiles showed up! That’s even worse than before.

How can I exclude these estimated 7 CA SMS recipients?

Badge +2

UPDATE:

Here’s the segment that actually weeds out the Canadian numbers that cost 3x as many credits to message as US numbers:

And when I exclude this segment, the billing displays charges for US numbers only:

Yes, I might be missing some snowbirds who happen to be in Palm Springs for the season but I’m not convinced they are worth 3 times as much as everyone else on my list.