Solved

SMS and antivirus apps

• 14 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

We just sent out an SMS message but are getting feedback from customers and employees that the message is getting put into the junk folder via Norton or if they click the link in the message that should go to our homepage they get a “suspicious website detected” AVG popup message and they can’t get to our site.

Has anyone else expirenced this? If so, what can be done to avoid this again. This is our biggest sale day of the year and I needed to cancel the SMS sends so we don’t get dinged by Klaviyo for sending spam...which isn’t going to help with our sales numbers.

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 18 March 2024, 18:01

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey @Andrea at Stormy it’s pretty hard to figure out what happened without looking inside, but I’d recommend reading this Klaviyo article: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035055312 that explains the different SMS compliance laws - it is likely you may have broken one or more of these. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi @Andrea at Stormy! Let’s try to troubleshoot this. I have a couple of questions.

• Do you have a screenshot by any chance?
  • Is your audience B2B? The reason I ask is because Norton might be installed on their phones due to security requirements from their company. 
  • Not sure why they would say it was sent to the junk folder? The scenario they are describing makes me think of email. 

Thanks!

Alex 🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you for asking for follow-up info. We’re not exactly sure what is going on, but it seems possible that someone once said we were spam and now all the antivirus apps are now flagging us. We know that it’s going to happen and will just need to deal with it. I’m pretty sure it’s not a Klaviyo issue, it’s an antivirus issue.

Thanks again!

Andrea

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thanks for the additional info @Andrea at Stormy !

To me, it sounds like an email issue. Is this for a particular company? Can you ask them to add you as a safe sender?

Unfortunately, it’s not a Klaviyo issue. 

Are you able to identify these users within Klaviyo in any way? If you can, then I would either exclude them from your emails or send them separately.

Without understanding the specific details, it’s challenging to create a specific solution. 

Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help any further!

Alex 🙂

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@Andrea at Stormy To be clear, are your SMS messages getting bounced or is the URL you include in your SMS campaigns triggering Norton? SMS deliverability is assessed at the carrier level, not by Norton.

If your SMS is failing delivery, I’d suggest checking the event log on someone’s profile to whom you sent the campaign and checking the failureType error. That will give you more insight into the issue. 

If it’s the URL that’s causing a problem, that’s an issue with your website’s security, likely your SSL certificate, and unfortunately outside Klaviyo’s scope. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Great info - I will look into this. We’ve had a few people from the office have the deliverability issue, so I can easily check their phone.

Thanks!