Solved

How Do I Filter Those Who Receive a Discount Message in my SMS Welcome Series?

• 2 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’ve turned on SMS consent at checkout now that it’s become available and I’m wondering if this will now trigger my SMS Welcome Series that is triggered off ‘when someone give SMS consent’. I’m assuming it will which isn’t great because that will mean the person gets a discount code directly after they’ve just made a purchase which is kind of a bad experience in my opinion. Any recs on how to make this not happen?

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 4 October 2021, 16:56

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @steez_brand,

Thanks for sharing your question with the Community! 

Depending on your integration, Collecting SMS Consent at Checkout is a great feature that can more seamlessly sync SMS subscribers into your account. It is also worth mentioning that not all integrations sync SMS consent at the same time, so it’s always best practice to be aware when your specific integrations syncs this data.

However, I can agree that it might not be the best experience for someone who has just finished buying a product to receive a discount after they sign up. You can rectify this one of two ways. Depending on your business model and goals, you could either share the same SMS welcome series for your purchasers and non-purchasers and create a Conditonal Split in your flow before you discount message. Only those who meet the condition ‘have Ordered Product > Zero Times > Over All Time’ will go down the ‘Yes’ path to receive the discount. It should be noted that you will need to reconnect the split for the people who do not meet the conditions if there are more messages in your Welcome Flow. 

Additionally, you create two different Flows for your new SMS subscribers who have and have not ordered product from your company. You would add a Flow Filter to each SMS Welcome Flow to filter those who have placed at least one order since entering this flow and those who have not in the other Flow. 

I’d recommend checking out this Community Post asking a similar question! 

Thanks for being a part of the Community! 

-Taylor 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’ve turned on SMS consent at checkout now that it’s become available and I’m wondering if this will now trigger my SMS Welcome Series that is triggered off ‘when someone give SMS consent’. I’m assuming it will which isn’t great because that will mean the person gets a discount code directly after they’ve just made a purchase which is kind of a bad experience in my opinion. Any recs on how to make this not happen?

Thanks Taylor. I do currently have our SMS flow filtered to only people who have not purchased since entering the flow.. but for Shopify checkout SMS integration? When does the sync happen? If someone accepts SMS marketing on checkout does the flow get triggered right at that moment or not until after they complete their purchase?

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @steez_brand

Another great question! For Shopify, the sync happens after a user has completed their purchase at checkout. A user can add their number after ticking the box at checkout, but if they abandon checkout and do not complete their order, their information will not sync into Klaviyo. 

Hope that clears things up! 

-Taylor 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @steez_brand

Another great question! For Shopify, the sync happens after a user has completed their purchase at checkout. A user can add their number after ticking the box at checkout, but if they abandon checkout and do not complete their order, their information will not sync into Klaviyo. 

Hope that clears things up! 

-Taylor 

Thanks Taylor, does this mean that if I have “has sent zero purchase since starting this flow” set as a flow filter, it won’t sent any messages to people who checked out and subscribed? Or do I need to set another filter like hasn’t made any purchases within the last hour or something. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @steez_brand

Flow Filter will not only check to see if a user qualifies for a flow initially, but will also evaluate if they still meet the flow’s specific conditions at each step of the flow. If at any point they do not meet the qualifications, the filter will cause the user to exit the flow. The Flow Filter you mentioned ‘ has ordered product zero times since starting this flow’ will only prevent users from entering and traveling through the flow who have ordered product since giving their SMS consent. If you’re looking to disqualify subscribers who just gave their SMS consent after their first initial purchase, you will need a different flow filter.

If you want to create a Flow that wouldn’t include subscribers who just consented to SMS at checkout, I suggest using the Flow Filter you suggested at the end of your last response ‘Has ordered product > zero times > in the last two hours’ to ensure that no users, that just consented after their recent checkout process, will qualify or travel through the flow at all. 

Thanks for asking your question in the Community! 

-Taylor