Solved

SMS to UK customers not working

• 13 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

My brand and me are both UK based and the majority of our audience is UK based. But when trying to collect UK SMS subscribers my customers are receiving a “Send this text to subscribe to [Brand Name]” text from a {+1 (833)….} US, Canada toll-free code number (resulting in customers SMS reply not delivering as its not valid in the UK).

But on my Klaviyo account it is stated that both UK & Ireland region are ACTIVE with the standard Branded sender ID as number. So i don’t understand my customers from UK & Ireland aren’t receiving text messages from UK & Ireland number (Brand Sender ID).

Image from my Klaviyo Account (13/01/24)

Also the only SMS region available for my shareable SMS subscribing link is only United States, Canada. Why???

Image 2 from my Klaviyo Account (13/01/24)

I would appreciate any help or ideas from anyone been stuck on this past few days, thanks.

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 16 January 2024, 22:06

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @sgtheones

Welcome to the Community! Happy to help here! 

It should be noted that when you have a  Branded IDs as the sending number, that two way messaging isn’t possible for this kind of number. You can send SMS communication to your customers in the form of a flow or campaign message, however, gathering SMS subscriptions via a Brander ID is very limited. You can only collect consent via a desktop experience (i.e., on a subscribe page), as mobile would require tap to text, for a Branded ID, or mobile if you add someone to a list via single opt-in. If you choose or have done the latter option, I would consider checking out our documentation on SMS compliance as consent differs on location:

As tap to texts and SMS subscribe words require a response from your brand’s number to opt in, it would not be supported as a Branded ID, which is why your customers are receiving the only SMS number that can support this, your Canada/US number. If you want to use an easier SMS subscription experience, you can request a UK long code or short code which allows two way messaging.

Thanks for participating in the Community!

-Taylor 

Badge

Hi, Taylor

Thank you so much for your reply. It was helped me understand SMS marketing so much more deeply plus I have now been able to work around my original problem.

For future people that come across this problem or similar one I ended up still using my Brands ID as sending number as it was important for my customers to recognise that my brand was sending them the message. But because with using Brands ID as sending number I can not do two way messaging, so I reverted to using an embedded SMS sign up form on my site to collect subscribers as it is single-opt in. Then set up a SMS flow for new SMS sign ups to receive text to let them know they subscribed and a discount code (optional of course). 

Embedded Sign Up Form

Thanks,

Aaron