Solved

Understanding How to Use Klaviyo for SMS Messaging

• 30 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I work for a company that has created a white-label ecommerce system.  One of our merchants has required we integrate the Klaviyo API so that their customers can receive marketing emails or text messages.  I’ve been able to add email addresses / mobile phone numbers to a List and provide sms_consent using the API just fine.

What I’m having trouble with is how I would use Klaviyo in other capacities.

For example, as part of the sign up process for our website, we send a text message to a new customer’s phone with a confirmation code.  We then require the customer to type in the code we’ve sent them in order to complete the sign up process.

Is there a way, using Klaviyo, that we can send this SMS to customers without them having to provide sms_consent?  In this case, the SMS sent isn’t for marketing purposes - it’s just to verify that the customer has provided a valid phone number.

I appreciate any help you can provide this Klaviyo newbie.

icon

Best answer by David To 31 January 2023, 19:25

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @GetPrado,

Welcome to the Klaviyo Community!

This sounds somewhat familiar to our double opt-in process which is typically used to prevent bots and confirm someone’s email address and/or phone number. 

I think it’s important to understand that SMS is much more regulated that email. Unlike emails which support transactional messages because there can be implied consent, the same cannot be said for SMS. 

Even for transactional SMS, explicit consent is required. Essentially, you can’t be sending any SMS messages to any customer without their explicit SMS consent beforehand. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge +1

Thanks @David To, this was very helpful.