Solved

Why am I using more SMS credits than I should be in my SMS sending?

• 24 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

We paid for 25000 SMS credits and it used 23000 to send 800 messages which isn’t right, please can someone explain, tried to email helpline but got no response, thanks.

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 24 March 2023, 17:26

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi there @tylerRL

Welcome to the Community! Sorry to hear that you’re seeing discrepancy in your SMS credits, happy to help!

First, it should be noted that SMS sends cost more credits depending where you are in the world, according to our understanding Klaviyo SMS credit documentation. For instance, in the UK, one SMS message send counts for 5 credits. Additionally, you can find what message types cost credits in this table here found in the linked documentation above. For instance, even failed deliveries cost credits, so it is imperative to evaluate your failed delivery reasons in your recipient activity tab for the SMS message sent.

However, if you’re seeing that your SMS credits are being used too rapidly, I would investigate whether your message is being broken up into smaller, multiple SMS sends because you’ve exceeded the character limit in your SMS send. According to  our guide to SMS messaging documentation, using one emoji in an SMS message changes the character count limit from 160-70.

Thanks for participating in the Community and I hope that gives more clarity!

-Taylor