Solved

Branded Sending domain

• 1 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

We’re sending emails in different languages and as such we’re using a subdomain for each website. When I update to branded domain will that update on the other accounts as well?

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 6 February 2024, 18:59

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @Leboy83! Can you explain more of what you mean by “updating on other accounts”? It would be helpful to know the subdomains and branded domains you’re trying to update as well!

Badge +3

So basically we have several klaviyo accounts, as we are sending in different languages. So when I try to add a branded domain, it will ask me for the root domain, which is the same for all accounts, iconicawear.com, but the other accounts that we’re sending to have sub-domains, for example for a spanish account, we have es.iconicawear.com. My question is, because there will only be one domain for all accounts, do I need to past the same NS and txt details on DNS? Also, each account provides a different klaviyo site verification, how do I go about it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Okay, sweet, I’m with you now @Leboy83! Easy peasy fix here. Klaviyo supports configuring for two subdomains so long as the first level subdomain is not already in use. 

If your brand's intended sending domain has two subdomains, such as send.es.iconicawear.com, “send” would be used for the subdomain and “es.iconicawear.com” for the root domain. In your case, (assuming you use the subdomain send) you can configure send.es.iconicawear.com and any subsequent language first level subdomains you might be using, such as send.it.iconicawear.com or send.pt.iconicawear.com. 

Where you’ll run into trouble is if you’re already using send.iconicawear.com as a first level subdomain on a main account. In that case, you’ll need to choose a different second level domain such as “mail” or “email”. Then, that would make your language-specific domains something like email.es.inconicawear.com.

The expected DNS records would be the following:

You can also refer to this help doc for more info. Hope that helps! :)

Badge +3

Thanks @kaila.lawrence appreciate the help, we got it activated now 😊

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Amazing! Glad that worked for you. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

Badge +5

Hi @kaila.lawrence, I’m trying to set up something similar. Can I ask a follow up question?

Example:
Sending domain: “send”
Root domain (actually a subdomain): “us.brand.com”

With this being said, what “from address” should I use?

Should I use a “from address” using the root domain e.g. support@brand.com

Or should I use the subdomain e.g. support@us.brand.com

From what I remember, the from address should be the same with the root domain.

Is the root domain talking about the actual root domain “brand.com” or the root domain used in the set up?

Hope I am clear! Thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hiya @maynard! Great question, and the short is answer is yes, your From address needs to match your branded sending domain. However, this does depend on how the records for the root and additional subdomains are configured. It is possible to use both, but to keep it simple:

Does the root domain brand.com already have records configured for send.brand.com?

• ✅ If yes, then you can’t use send as a second level subdomain for us.brand.com since send is already in use as a first level subdomain. In this case you’d need to pick something else. It can be anything not already in use. Usually “mail” is already in use for standard inbox activity so I recommend against that. You can check your DNS records to be sure.
  • ❌ If no, then you’re golden to set up send.us.brand.com and use support@us.brand.com as the From address. 

Hope that helps! :)