Solved

Emails going to spam in Hotmail

• 25 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

I noticed a lot of posts about this, but none were actually resolved. For the last 2 or so months all of our campaigns are going straight into spam for all hotmail users (including myself). We haven’t changed anything to do with our campaigns or our delivery strategy. We only usually send to users who have engaged in the last 30 days. 

I also did a test campaign yesterday to all of our hotmail subscribers, which resulted in an open rate of 1%, which is obviously well below our usual open rate, even for non-engaged customers. 

Has anyone had any luck with resolving this, if they were struggling with this too?

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 25 January 2024, 21:51

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @ChelseaC98! Deliverability issues can be really frustrating, especially since every inbox provider (Hotmail, Google, Yahoo) filter messages according to their own rules and automatically scan and sort them. The good news is this is a solvable problem! It will just take a little bit of experimentation and patience. 

First things first, while Hotmail isn’t technically affected by the “Yahoogle” sender requirements, it definitely will not hurt you to make sure you’re compliant anyway. Check out this handy guide to walk through the steps. 

Next, I’d triple check your emails aren’t triggering any of the common issues inbox providers use to flag spam

Lastly, the major solution here is to make sure your lists are squeaky clean and then start repairing your sender reputation with Hotmail. There are several help docs that go into really awesome detail on strategies how to do this:

Let me know if that helps! :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi @ChelseaC98,

I understand how frustrating deliverability issues can be. @kaila.lawrence has put across some great points.

But, let me tell you - Hotmail (Microsoft) deliverability issues are something not unusual. It happens with everyone and You’re not alone in this!

As a matter of fact, Microsoft has a complex way of determining email as a wanted vs unwanted one. However, principles of a great email marketing practices still applies to Microsoft as well as Gmail & Yahoo.

If I may ask -

1. What kind of campaigns are you sending to which audience?
  2. Whats your daily volume to Microsoft (Hotmail) audience?
  3. How are you currently monitoring Hotmail deliverability, since all your emails are landing into junk?
  4. What number Klaviyo is reporting for Hotmail/Microsoft domains?
  5. Is your sending domain properly authenticated and aligned?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards 

Mohsin

HI there, I experience the same issue with hotmail. Did you manage to fix it ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @Shaiaiai, my answer above is going to be the same to you. The process for fixing this is always the same and we have great help docs to walk you through it. Check them out above and let me know if that helps! :)