Skip to main content
Solved

Abandoned Cart Flow event not working

• 25 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my abandoned cart flow and could use some expert advice.

1. I created an abandoned cart flow with the trigger set to "Added to Cart."
  2. I'm using the Shopify tag {{ event.extra.checkout_url }} in the email, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly. When I test the email, the link doesn’t take me anywhere.
  3. Additionally, a customer received the email but mentioned that she never added anything to her cart, and there is no product linked in the email.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any insights on how to fix these problems? Any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +21

Hi @suzannesouvy,

Will do my best to help below!

The Shopify responsive checkout URL variable “{{ event.extra.checkout_url }}” is typically only included in the Shopify Started Checkout event, and not in the default Added to Cart event properties.

It would likely require a savvy developer to enhance the behavior of the default Added to Cart event so that, as a user adds items to cart during their session, a custom cart URL is created and saved in the event as a new event property. I’ve rarely seen this built given the complexity of it.

As for the customer who received the email, the best way to troubleshoot would be to view their profile and filter for Added to Cart events that they recently triggered. You should be able to find one that triggered the flow. You could then inspect the “Activity details” of that event to confirm if the data is appearing as expected. If certain properties are blank, that could indicate an issue with the Added to Cart tracking snippet on the website.

Let me know if you have any questions on the above -

Cheers,

Bobby

Badge

Thanks Bobby!

Badge

@Bobby could I use /cart to direct the customers to their cart? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +21

@Bobby could I use /cart to direct the customers to their cart? 

@CreActive yep, you certainly could.

The primary limitation to be aware of is that, it’s possible they could be directed to an empty cart if:

1. They’re on a different browser or device than where they added items to cart
  2. They’re on the same browser/device, but their cookies have reset and are no longer saved

Given the trade-offs, I typically find it best to still have a CTA of “Return to Cart”, for example, and direct to the cart page.