Solved

About flow filters for segment triggered flows and active on site event

• 9 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hello community! 

I’m asking for your help again. I think I might not been understing correctly how active on site works. The thing is that we want to create a 30-day active and 7-day active flows to send some content to users that meet this condition, so we create this segments and with them will trigger the respective flows. 

But when I was trying to add the flow filter “has not been in this flow” I noticed that is not possible for segment triggered flows. 
I already searched on the community for insights, and found useful information in here: 

But there’s one thing I still don’t get. In the case of my segments I think is possible to be active on site in the last 7 days, be part of my segment, then don’t be active on the site for like two months or something, and then again beign active in the last 7 days… Am I correct?

If I am… this doesn’t imply they could enter my flows more than once ergo I’ll need to add a filter to prevent them on getting the same content?

Hope you can help me!

icon

Best answer by alex.hong 9 February 2023, 01:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Lorena Jaqueline ,

Thanks for sharing in the community and I hope all is well.

There’s no practical limit on the events that Active on Site can track in a certain time frame, but there are some other things that could be causing this lapse in tracking:

1. Browser is not identified:
    • Active on Site is only able to track browsers that have been cookied in one of these ways:
      • If someone has, at some point, clicked through a Klaviyo email to your website.
      • If someone has, at some point, subscribed/opted-in through a Klaviyo form.
      • If someone has, at some point, logged into your site and you have tracking installed.
    • If you clear your browser cache/cookies after being identified in one of these ways, Active on Site tracking will not recognize you.

2. Ad-blockers:
    • If you or your site visitors are using a third-party ad-blocker during testing or site visitation, it can block Active on Site from identifying your browser.
    • If you are testing this way, it’s possible that this would explain why you are only being tracked once. Some ad-blockers aren’t activated until after the first cookie-detection is triggered, meaning that subsequent events will not be tracked.

3. Custom Integration design:
    • Is this a custom integration? If so, it’s possible that there can be custom design features that block/deter Active on Site from identifying a cookied browser. If this is the case, it may be helpful to speak to your developer or one of our wonderful Official Partners for development help.

If you would like to create segments to send your campaign emails to in order to improve your deliverability, we would recommend creating segments of engaged profiles instead of active profiles. 

Active profiles could mean someone who has been active on your site but does not necessarily mean that the person is interested in receiving any emails. Engaged profiles, on the other hand, are the ones that are more likely to open your emails, click on your links, stay engaged and are more likely to have a positive reaction towards your emails, all of which are great for your deliverability.

To create engaged segments, you will need to create a segment like the following: 

mceclip0.png

The list "Newsletter" in this example can be replaced with any list you have as your master list. This segment definition would create a group of profiles who is in your master list AND opened or clicked on your email in the last 30 days or has been in your master list in the last 15 days to also include newer subscribers in your sends. You can play around with the number of days here if you feel like your segment is including too little or too many profiles

Let me know if that works for you or if you would like to use active on site exclusively.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me, I understand the deliverability concerns but this whole idea is part of a test we want to run. 

So.., I wouldn’t say use active on site exclusively, but it’s a yes in this particular case.

I’m stll confused about these questions I made:

But there’s one thing I still don’t get. In the case of my segments I think is possible to be active on site in the last 7 days, be part of my segment, then don’t be active on the site for like two months or something, and then again beign active in the last 7 days… Am I correct?

If I am… this doesn’t imply they could enter my flows more than once ergo I’ll need to add a filter to prevent them on getting the same content?

Do you have any insights that could help me understand? Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Lorena Jaqueline ,

You would be correct. If someone was active for example 2 days ago, they would still meet segment criteria for active 7 days and active 2 months. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Got it, but they won’t enter the flow again even they re-entered the segment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Lorena Jaqueline ,

If you are creating segment triggered flows then no the contacts will not join since users cannot enter list and segment triggered flows multiple times. Are you trying to trigger a flow using the Active Onsite metric? If so, you could then use either conditional splits to separate out users who triggered it in the past 7 days versus those in the past 30 days or do the same thing with 2 flows by using a flow filter.