Question

Conditional Split for Abandoned Cart Flow of High Value vs Low Value not working

• 12 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

Hello all,

I made this Abandoned Cart flow a while back to the specifications that Klaviyo mentions, as well as fixing a little bug of the $value needing to be Price instead to register the items.

The issue I’m seeing now is that the overwhelming majority are going into the trigger split “PriceAmount is less than 59.94”, aka The Low Value Cart. It’s over 99%, which seems incorrect. However, a few have gone into the High Value Cart, so I know it must be working in part. What could be causing this huge shift? I have screenshots to show.

Here are the trigger filters, based on recommendations to separate our Abandoned Checkout flow as well so they aren’t getting double.
Here you can see the percentages.

One theory I have is that people might be triggering with Low Value initially, come back before the 1 Hour Time condition is up and add more to equal higher value, but it’s actually triggering the additions as a new low value. Is that possible? If that’s the case, is there a way to fix that?

What else could be going on here?

Thanks so much for any help!

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

Hi @caitlinlmh,

Appreciate the detail you included in your post. I’ll try to help out here.

Out of curiosity, is your “Added to Cart” event set to only include one item in each event? Or, if people add multiple items to cart during a session, do subsequent “Added to Cart” events include previously added items during their session?

The reason I ask is because the default behavior for this event is the former. So, if the majority of the items you sell are under the $59.94 threshold, it would be expected that only individual items above that threshold would go down the “No” path.

Another area worth confirming is to ensure that the “PriceAmount” attribute being referenced in the flow is the desired price attribute to reference in the Added to Cart event (often times there are multiple price-related attributes).

Will stay tuned for your reply!

Cheers,
Bobby

Badge +5

Thanks for the quick reply!

So to answer the last question, that amount is accurate because it’s based on a free shipping threshold. Because the High Value carts get a discount incentive, we wanted to make sure that the discount would not put them below the free shipping threshold.

I think I see what you’re saying with the one item in each event - are you saying that one item would need to be greater than 59.94 in order to go into the High Value? We don’t currently have any items above that number, so wouldn’t there be 0% going into the High Value if that were the case?

I was under the impression that it was triggered by the one item, but that the TOTAL cart value at the time of abandonment is what it was using. Is that not the case? Because that’s the behavior I’m wanting!

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

@caitlinlmh replying below!

I think I see what you’re saying with the one item in each event - are you saying that one item would need to be greater than 59.94 in order to go into the High Value?

Correct. Assuming that each of your Added to Cart events only include one item (which is the default structure for the Shopify snippet), and considering that you currently don’t have any items priced above $59.94, that could explain the behavior in the flow.

If you inspect recent Added to Cart events, do you see only one item listed in each? Or, do you see multiple items listed in an “Items” array (i.e. an expandable property)?

If the former, then that’s likely the issue.

I was under the impression that it was triggered by the one item, but that the TOTAL cart value at the time of abandonment is what it was using. Is that not the case? Because that’s the behavior I’m wanting!

The trigger split is referencing the PriceAmount event property, which I’m assuming is the price for the individual item that was added to cart. Or is that the price reflecting the whole amount of the cart? It’s a bit tougher to understand without being able to view the event data first-hand, so just let me know.

Typically, the default Added to Cart event will only show the item added to cart’s price value, whereas the Shopify Checkout Started event will include a $value property for the entire price of the cart.

Will stay tuned for your response :)

Badge +5

If you inspect recent Added to Cart events, do you see only one item listed in each? Or, do you see multiple items listed in an “Items” array (i.e. an expandable property)?

If the former, then that’s likely the issue.

The trigger split is referencing the PriceAmount event property, which I’m assuming is the price for the individual item that was added to cart. Or is that the price reflecting the whole amount of the cart? 

So as I said, we don’t even have any items in our store that are over $59.94. So it can’t be just one item, it would have to be the cart total. So it’s working less than 1% of the time, but it is working. I will look more into the events and see if I can see more detail.

Badge +5

@Bobby I can confirm that it must be calculating per-item, as all the events that triggered the High value are international, and therefor would be above $59.94 for a single item because of the currency exchange.

So, what I’m wanting is the cart TOTAL. How would I do that in my trigger?

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

@caitlinlmh thanks for sharing the additional information there.

My hunch is that it might require a Shopify developer to reconfigure the Added to Cart event so that the $price value of the event reflects the cart total.

I understand you mentioned the below in your original post:

I made this Abandoned Cart flow a while back to the specifications that Klaviyo mentions, as well as fixing a little bug of the $value needing to be Price instead to register the items.

In this Added to Cart tracking snippet section, an example event payload is shown. Here, the $value property reflects the total cart value while an additional top-level property of "AddedItemPrice" displays the item price.

I’ve shared the above doc with several clients’ developers who have built this enhanced Added to Cart tracking. A benefit is that each subsequent event during a user’s session will include existing items added to cart in the “Items” array. Thus, allowing all items to display in the Abandoned Cart emails, similar to how they all display in the Abandoned Checkout emails, triggered by the Checkout Started event.

Would the above seem like an ideal approach, @caitlinlmh?

Cheers,
Bobby