Solved

Editing a Flow whilst live, or clone and rebuild then switch?

• 19 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hello

I’m planning to make some significant changes to a post purchase flow that I currently have live which will take some time to do.  Am I best cloning the existing / starting from scratch, or can I just set the existing one to Manual mode, make all the changes then update status to Live again?

Appreciate any advice!  Thank you :-)

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 19 January 2023, 17:43

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @zoecccp 

Thank you for posting your question in the community!

When making changes to an existing flow, I don’t think you need to start from scratch, but I would recommend cloning the message and making the changes to the new version. 

First, this allows you to keep your existing message active while you work on implementing the changes.

Second (and in my opinion, the most important), cloning allows you to retain performance metrics for the old creative so once you launch your new message, you retain all of the preview data with a clean view to see how your new changes are driving performance. 

Unless you are planning to make structural changes to the trigger or logic of how users progress through the flow, I’d simply clone and proceed from there!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@In the Inbox 

Badge +2

@In the Inbox  Thanks for your speedy reply!  I think it might actually end up being changes to splits and logic so I probably feel more comfortable starting from scratch now I’m thinking more about it - seems safer. I can always refer back to the original Flow analytics to make comparisons can’t I?  That way I leave the existing running, prepare my new one and switch old off and new on… I use templates for the emails so they should be simple enough to update and put in.  Thanks, again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @zoecccp 

Yes, if you’re planning to make changes to splits and logic, then I would duplicate the entire flow and make your changes to the new version. And this will ensure you retain metrics from the old flow to compare with the new flow.

The only thing to be mindful to make sure you keep your metrics separate is to give the messages in your new flow slightly different names. This helps keep things straight if you are exporting data to compare.

Good luck! Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

@In the Inbox 

Badge +1

Hey guys,

Jumping in here, as we are have redesigned our website and are updating creative look & feel across all flows in line with this.

Can I confirm you are suggesting it is best to clone the individual campaigns WITHIN the flow, make the changes to the new campaign, then set the old one to draft & new one live?

Is this the best method to keep past analytics?

Thanks,

Ellen

Badge +2

Hi Ellen, I’m by no means an expert, but as a Klaviyo user, I’ve taken both approaches on various Flows depending on how much I wanted to change them. 

In some cases I cloned / copied each Flow email into my templates and saved them there whilst amending them into new versions, then simply re-attached / replaced them in the original Flow when they were all ready to go.

In other cases where we’ve gone for more segmentation and splits than an original Flow had, I have built out an entirely new Flow in Draft, created templates to insert into the Flow, then switched it to live once everything was in place and ready. 

In terms of monitoring you can still access data on Flows that have been switched to draft or archived so it is possible to compare but it’s a little less streamlined :-)

Badge +2

Hi @zoecccp 

Thank you for posting your question in the community!

When making changes to an existing flow, I don’t think you need to start from scratch, but I would recommend cloning the message and making the changes to the new version. 

First, this allows you to keep your existing message active while you work on implementing the changes.

Second (and in my opinion, the most important), cloning allows you to retain performance metrics for the old creative so once you launch your new message, you retain all of the preview data with a clean view to see how your new changes are driving performance. 

Unless you are planning to make structural changes to the trigger or logic of how users progress through the flow, I’d simply clone and proceed from there!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

@In the Inbox

So you dont delete the original one,  and make the new one “Live” correct?