Flow filter based on $source

• 30 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi, I’d like to filter a flow depending on how (through which form) someone signed up. 

This is the first welcome flow I created (following the instructions in  this Klaviyo article https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034336572-How-to-Use-Signup-Forms-to-Offer-Tiered-Discounts ) I obv still have to write all emails and possibly rejoin them for the 2nd and 3rd email. People who will receive this welcome flow are those who signed up through a “sign up to our email list” pop-up. 

I would also like to create an exit intent pop-up sign up form. 

Then I’m also gonna create a Instagram Landing page sign up form….

2 Versions each (one for customers based in the EU and one for NON-EU) 

People will receive different emails depending on how they signed up.

Instead of trying to put them all in that same email welcome flow from the screenshot above, I thought it might be less confusing for me to just create two more email welcome flows. 

So I was thinking I could create a flow filter based on the sign up forms hidden field property “$source” ? Or is there a better way?

I can see that in my sign up form the Value for the $source is simply the name I gave to that pop up. 

If I now add a filter to a flow’s trigger do I just simply type in that pop-up’s name in the value field? 

(Also; is there a way to group certain pop-up sign up forms together so they all have the same $source Value? For example all exit intent pop-ups, all Ig landing page pop-up’s etc...)

Thanks in advance for your help.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hello @Lucia937,

Welcome back to the Community!

You’re spot on! Using the $Source field as a flow filter to target subscribers who have filled out a specific signup form - in my opinion, would be the best way to do it. My colleague, @Dov elaborated on this in a past Community post:

Additionally, instead of using a $Source property, you can also create your own hidden profile property for use which would tag users who have filled out the form. For example, if your form is set to geo-target EU customers, you can have a hidden field that would tag customers with “Signup From Region = EU” - or “Non-EU” for the opposite. 

Overall, it would achieve the same goal, just in different styles.

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

HI David!

thanks a lot for your reply. I went ahead to add a filter based on $source. But when I go to my flow and want to add the ‘source equals value’ filter to the trigger, the drop down menu for value doesn’t show anything... Do I just manually type in what I see in the forms hidden field for ‘value’ (that long as “Browsed Fewer Than 3 Times and Never Purchased (20% off) NON-EU” ) ? Can I shorten it?  I don’t have anyone in my list yet so I can’t check if what I’m doing would work and want to make sure everything is set up correctly before putting it live.

thanks in advance for your reply

best. Manuela

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Lucia937,

This sort of behavior is typically when what you’re trying to filter or segment for is not live or has not recorded any events. I explained this further in some past Community posts which I’ve included below:

You certainly can preemptively enter the $Source value for your flow filter manually. Keep in mind though that when manually creating these definitions that the input must be in an exact match format as those input fields are spelling and case sensitive. I personally would recommend manually triggering these events though. This way you can not only make sure your signup form is working correctly, but also the experience is similar to the one your customers will be going through. 

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks again for your help @David To it’s very much appreciated. I’m going to read through the linked posts.

Are there any differences /advantages/disadvantages  between using $source, $consent_form_id $consent_form_version etc when choosing which one to use to use in my sign up forms hidden field and again as  filter for my flow?

Best, Manuela

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @Lucia937,

There really isn’t too much differences between those! $Source is usually used to identify the name of the form while the $consent_form_id is used to target the form’s ID. Both are typically the same, but using the $consent_form_id option is more beneficial if you have forms that may have longer names or very similar names. 

Whereas, $consent_form_version wouldn’t be something you want to use as it changes so frequently it isn’t static enough to target. The $consent_form_version changes every time updates or changes are made to a form. 

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you so much for all these helpful information @David To ! I think this stuff should be included in the tutorial articles. I couldn’t find any information on that over there!