Solved

Gift message to recipient

• 13 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

In the shopify cart page, we will allow the buyer to add a gift message and the recipient’s email address to the order.  I already know how to do this.

Then we want to use Klaviyo’s Flow to send the gift message email to the recipient when the order status changes to “delivered” or “out for delivery”.

I’d imagine this is possible maybe with the use of another app such as Mechanic app or something similar.  

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

David

icon

Best answer by Irrra 13 February 2023, 15:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @plush! Happy to assist =)

Yes, you can use Klaviyo's Flows to send the gift message email to the recipient when the order status changes to "delivered" or "out for delivery."

Here's a general outline of how you might set this up in Klaviyo:

1. Store the gift message and recipient email in your Shopify store: You will need to modify your Shopify checkout process to allow customers to enter a gift message and recipient email. You can store this information as a custom field in Shopify.

2. Sync the gift message and recipient email to Klaviyo: You will need to use Klaviyo's integration with Shopify to sync the custom field data to Klaviyo. This will allow you to access the gift message and recipient email in Klaviyo.

3. Create a Klaviyo Flow: In Klaviyo, create a new Flow that is triggered when the order status changes to "delivered" or "out for delivery". You can use Klaviyo's built-in "Order status change" trigger for this.

4. Use the gift message and recipient email in the Flow: In the Flow, you can use the gift message and recipient email data to personalize the gift message email that you send to the recipient. You can use Klaviyo's email editor to create a custom email template and use merge tags to dynamically insert the gift message and recipient email into the email.

You can also use a Shopify app like Mechanic to automate this process and make it easier to manage. Mechanic allows you to create custom workflows and actions in Shopify, so you can create a workflow that sends the gift message email to the recipient when the order status changes to "delivered" or "out for delivery".

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Badge +1

Thanks Irrra.  The data is captured under shopify’s cart attributes.  I need to figure out how to import that data into Klaviyo now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @plush!
I hope you mean it, I can explain how to do it

To import the data from Shopify cart attributes into Klaviyo, you can follow these steps:

• In your Klaviyo account, go to the "Lists & Segments" tab.
  • Click on "Create List" or select an existing list that you want to use.
  • In the list settings, add a custom property for the recipient’s email address and gift message. To do this, click on "Manage contacts" > "Properties" > "Add Property". Create a property for the recipient's email address and gift message.
  • In Shopify, go to the "Apps" section and search for the Klaviyo app. Install the app and connect it to your Klaviyo account.
  • In the Klaviyo app settings in Shopify, click on "Sync" > "Sync historical data" to import your existing customer and order data into Klaviyo.
  • Once the data is imported, you can create a flow in Klaviyo that will trigger an email to the recipient when the order status changes to "delivered" or "out for delivery".

In the flow, use the recipient’s email address and gift message custom properties that you created earlier to personalize the email.

That’s it! By following these steps, you should be able to import the data from Shopify cart attributes into Klaviyo and use it to trigger personalized emails for your gift recipients.

Badge +1

Hi Irrra,

I appreciate your help.  But the gift message and recipient email data is in the order data not customer.

Would your suggestion work?

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @plush 

While @Irrra is the real expert here, just wanted to jump in to say that yes her suggestion will work! As long as you follow the first few steps from the first response above, you will be able to use the custom fields.

Badge

Hey @plush,

Were you able to figure this out? I’m able to get the message in Klaviyo and also trigger the flow. But how are you dealing with sending the email to another person than the buyer? Since the receiver hasn’t sign up for marketing, how would you approach this?

Regards,

RDL