Solved

How can I automatically pull an order number and product title to make them variable tags for use in a personalized email?

• 14 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Howdy folks from a newbie to Klaviyo!

I’m trying to create an automated email flow in Klaviyo to send to Customers who ordered a specific type of product.

I’ve figured out how to set the triggers so that when someone orders a product whose SKU begins with “001_” or from a specific collection, an email is sent 15 minutes later.

What I’m trying to do is sort of a “email merge” in that I want Klaviyo to look up the order number and the product title and insert them as a tag in the body of the email.

I’ve watched a help video that tells me how to “insert” a tag into the email, but haven’t figured out how to “make” a customized tag beforehand. Is this possible?

For example, the text of the email might read, “Your recent order (Customer order number here) for (title of the product they ordered here) is a custom product...”

I think I need to add a custom tag right after the order is placed, and before the timed email is sent, but I don’t have a clue on how to add these specific variables.

As I mentioned, I am an absolute newbie, and would greatly appreciate any assistance from anybody who might be able to help “the light bulb” to come on for me.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

icon

Best answer by Omar 14 April 2023, 23:34

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @dbogdan1960 thanks for posting in the community and great question. Unfortunately, as far as I’m aware, Shopify does not automatically pass the order number information into Klaviyo on its own. There are third party apps that integrate with Klaviyo & Shopify and pass that information in, however (like, for example, shipping apps). 

As for the product title, you can pull that in by previewing your email and clicking on the event for item ordered. It’ll copy it and you can place that tag in the email to pull in the name of the product automatically. 

This article walks you through how to do it

This article gives insight into the types of events you can pull dynamic data for. 

Katherine

Userlevel 7
Badge +44

Hi @dbogdan1960 and welcome to the Klaviyo community.

First of you can do a lot with the data that is coming from the ecommerce platforms. The easiest way to see which information is getting pushed is to start a flow based on the placed order event and open up an email editor and click the preview button. Now on the rightside you should be able to browse through all the data that's available to use in the emails you create. If you click on any of the lines it will give you the variable.

For single variables this is rather straightforward, you click and then use that variable in your email. 

E.g. For Shopify (not sure if you're using that) I just pulled the variable for order number.
{{ event.extra.order_number|default:'' }}

Things become more advanced if you need to work with data that is in a “list”. Let's say you place an order with 3 products. Product 0, Product 1 and Product 2.

Normally you'd want to display the name of each product and for all products in that “list”. For this you need to loop over the data and use the content repeat function. If you use the previous method (for single value) it won't work because each order contains unkown amount of products and specifying them one by one is either going to not show all or have empty spots in your email.

Now for your specific flow there are a couple of things to check.
For example, are people able to buy or buying multiple products at the same time? If so you need to think about how to go about the “title of the product they ordered” since this can be any number of products. If you already know which product it is you could also just write the name of the product there if not you will need to use some if/else functionality to only show that one name. If it's always the same name I would just keep it static and type the name of the product unless you have multiple versions of it. But then also the question is, what happens if they buy multiple different products, will you put them all in the same first sentence?

Below are some recommended read about these (somewhat advanced) options.

Show / Hide

If / else

I hope this helps!

Omar Lovert // Polaris Growth // Klaviyo Master Platinum Partner

We help with e-commerce growth through CRO, Klaviyo and CVO