Skip to main content
Solved

How to exclude fake emails from Welcome Flow

• 28 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I am getting a good number of fake emails a day entering my Welcome Flow. They are really affecting our performance data. I have created a segment with all these emails as they follow the same format and all contain a “+” sign. How can I exclude these emails from entering the flow? How do I run analytics excluding them - for example - how do I run a 90-day open rate data pull excluding all these emails?

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hey @Danika C 

Do you have double opt-in set up? If not, this helps prevent bots and fake accounts from entering your Welcome flow.

Alternatively, you can add a flow filter to exclude emails/names that contain “+” 

When creating the segment for open rates you can exclude those profiles with “+” in them as well.
So
“Is in list (list name) in last 90 days
AND
(what someone has done) has opened emailed in last 90 days
AND
(properties about someone) Email/Name does not contain +

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Hi @Danika C 

@jocelyn8 suggestions are the way to go.

Double opt-in should prevent them from being added to your list(s) and from entering those list-triggered flows unless they’re savvy enough to automate clicking confirmation emails.

The email contains ‘+’ filter will also catch those, as it’s commonly included in spam addresses, usually gmail accounts, but you may get a small number of false positives (genuine submissions).

However, worth noting that even with those approaches in place, a spam submission will still create a Klaviyo profile - not in a list and never subscribed.

You could also consider reCaptcha if those spam submissions are coming from non-Klaviyo forms (Shopify, WP etc) to try to avoid them submitting in the first place.

Regards

Andy

Badge +1

Thank you both. Were don’t have double opt-in right now. I’m worried that will lead to fewer people subscribing.

I have created the segment and run an engagement report excluding fake users. Hope do I run the welcome flow report excluding this segment. I can't seem to figure that one out. And do I need to clone the welcome flow and create it again excluding these emails?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Hi @Danika C 

Double opt-in will always lose some genuine subscribers. They forget to check their email, or it goes into spam for some reason and they miss it. You can mitigate that risk by highlighting the need to look for/confirm the confirmation email on the form’s success step, after their email submission.

However, double opt-in is the only way to prevent fake profiles (and incorrect emails from genuine subscribers) ending up in your list and ‘subscribed’.

No, you don’t need to clone your welcome flow. When you add the profile filter ‘AND email does not contain +’, that filter is evaluated before each flow email is sent. So, fake ‘+’ profiles already in your flow will be skipped from any unsent emails.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to run a custom flow report and include/exclude segments. That would be great to have though!

Regards

Andy