Solved

Linking a CTA to automatically log a customer into their Shopify account

• 23 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello! Is it possible to link a CTA “SEE MY ACCOUNT” so that a customer is directly logged into their Shopify customer account? 

icon

Best answer by retention 23 April 2024, 22:51

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Madelena V, welcome to the community!

As far as I know, Shopify doesn’t let you generate an access token to log in a user from a link.  I think they restrict this for security purposes.  There are some third party tools that manages single-signon or “multipass” which may allow some capabilities of a “login url” (with some expiration time) - but those are for really advanced Shopify Plus sites that require more complex user management systems.  

I think you can direct people to the “My Account” page on your site, and if they are currently logged in on their browser (or device), they should go right to that page.  If they need to log in, Shopify will present the login page to them. 

If you really want to simplify the login process, you can also make it easier for your users to login with other methods of authentication such as Shopify’s Shop Pay or other third party logins (Google, Facebook/Meta, etc).  Some of that implementation does require developer resources, or a Shopify App or other tools to be installed.

If anyone knows other ways to simplify login (or to get to their “My Account” page in Shopify), chime in!

Badge +2

Thanks, Joseph! We are currently linking to “My Account page”, but it’s helpful to know that there isn’t anything from Shopify! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

Also adding onto @retention’s answer above - if you use the New Shopify Accounts (note - you can’t customise this much past branding) the my account area URL will change, but this will also include a cookie with a 1 year expiration date.

Login happens with a 6 digit code sent to the email address of the customer. All the info about this on the Shopify help centre here!

Badge +2

Awesome, thanks @DavidV!