Skip to main content
Solved

Question about targeting users who add to cart

• 12 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi All,

First post here. I’m new to Klaviyo.

I’m am wondering what is the best strategy to target users who add to cart. 

I have a lot of users who add products to add but do not purchase. I am aware some of these add to cart sessions are people just browsing but I feel I should have much more sales. How can I target these users who add to cart? They clearly have interest in my product. Any advice will be much appreciated.

P.S what is the best way to get set up with Klayvio. I’m very new to email + SMS marketing. I’ve only used Shopify email for basic campaigns but want to build a good foundation coming into Q3 and q4 hence that is why I chose Klaviyo.

Thanks in advance

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

Hi @User7654,

Welcome to the Klaviyo community - love hearing that you’ve jumped across to Klaviyo to help you with growth in the coming quarters!

Klaviyo comes built in with a full integration into the Shopify platform which means things like add to cart are automatically communicated into the Klaviyo platform. It also comes with a wealth of pre-built flows (this is what we call Automations - ie. “If you’ve done this, then send this/take this action). The library of flows actually includes an Abandon Cart email which means all you have to do is add the flow into your account, customise it how you would like it to be and go live with it.

The Klaviyo Academy is stacked with different trainings that you can follow that help you. I would highly recommend looking at the following trainings to get started:

While it may at first seem overwhelming, Klaviyo is really designed for merchants of all sizes and you will become super familiar with all of the features in there. Especially when it comes to setting up flows, I would highly recommend navigating to the Flows area inside of Klaviyo, clicking “Create flow” in the right hand corner and browsing the essentials. The highest converting flows for Shopify are Abandon Cart, Browse Abandonment and the Welcome Series. 

The community is here to help - so if you have any questions or you get stuck don’t hesitate to post - there is a whole community of people that can help!

Thanks
David

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @User7654 

Welcome to the community and email marketing! In addition to what @DavidV shared, I wanted to also share that with Shopify and Klaviyo there are two types of Checkout Abandon. 

The direct integration between Shopify and Klaviyo has the Checkout Started event. This fires when someone has started completing the checkout page but at some point abandons the page before completing their order. This is the most common abandonment flow.

However, you can also have a “Added to Cart” abandonment flow. This takes a little more work because you need to add an additional step as you need to embed the Klaviyo App on your website. 

The “Added to Cart” abandon flow acts similarly to a browse abandon flow. As people add an item to their cart, they would be triggered into this flow (so there are some additional flow filters you’d want to add to limit how often people would get the emails), whereas, users would receive the Checkout Started flow once they’ve finished adding items to the cart and they’ve progressed to the checkout.

Note: Only users who have already opted in to your emails will receive the Added to Cart emails when they add new items to the cart. Whereas the Checkout Started event will fire once someone has added their email to the checkout page.

Here is a little more information on the Added to Cart

How to create an "Added to Cart" event for Shopify

I hope this helps. Please let @DavidV or I know if you have any additional questions!

@In the Inbox 

Badge

Hi @User7654,

Welcome to the Klaviyo community - love hearing that you’ve jumped across to Klaviyo to help you with growth in the coming quarters!

Klaviyo comes built in with a full integration into the Shopify platform which means things like add to cart are automatically communicated into the Klaviyo platform. It also comes with a wealth of pre-built flows (this is what we call Automations - ie. “If you’ve done this, then send this/take this action). The library of flows actually includes an Abandon Cart email which means all you have to do is add the flow into your account, customise it how you would like it to be and go live with it.

The Klaviyo Academy is stacked with different trainings that you can follow that help you. I would highly recommend looking at the following trainings to get started:

While it may at first seem overwhelming, Klaviyo is really designed for merchants of all sizes and you will become super familiar with all of the features in there. Especially when it comes to setting up flows, I would highly recommend navigating to the Flows area inside of Klaviyo, clicking “Create flow” in the right hand corner and browsing the essentials. The highest converting flows for Shopify are Abandon Cart, Browse Abandonment and the Welcome Series. 

The community is here to help - so if you have any questions or you get stuck don’t hesitate to post - there is a whole community of people that can help!

Thanks
David

Hi David,

Thanks very much for your reply and the wealth of information. I will definitely have a look at all the features and see what works best. I will also take time to visit the Klaviyo academy.

Thanks 

Badge

Hi @User7654 

Welcome to the community and email marketing! In addition to what @DavidV shared, I wanted to also share that with Shopify and Klaviyo there are two types of Checkout Abandon. 

The direct integration between Shopify and Klaviyo has the Checkout Started event. This fires when someone has started completing the checkout page but at some point abandons the page before completing their order. This is the most common abandonment flow.

However, you can also have a “Added to Cart” abandonment flow. This takes a little more work because you need to add an additional step as you need to embed the Klaviyo App on your website. 

The “Added to Cart” abandon flow acts similarly to a browse abandon flow. As people add an item to their cart, they would be triggered into this flow (so there are some additional flow filters you’d want to add to limit how often people would get the emails), whereas, users would receive the Checkout Started flow once they’ve finished adding items to the cart and they’ve progressed to the checkout.

Note: Only users who have already opted in to your emails will receive the Added to Cart emails when they add new items to the cart. Whereas the Checkout Started event will fire once someone has added their email to the checkout page.

Here is a little more information on the Added to Cart

How to create an "Added to Cart" event for Shopify

I hope this helps. Please let @DavidV or I know if you have any additional questions!

@In the Inbox

Hi Brian,

Thank you for that additional information. I will definitely have look. 

Also, what would be the best practices for getting customers to sign up? 

Additionally, is it best to google an email domain from Google? Or are there better providers

Thanks