Solved

Sunset Flow: Tags/Variable to keep someone subscribed

• 9 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hey there, 
I am currently working on a sunset flow. In the final mail of the flow, I inform the recipient that he will be deleted from the list and no longer get any mails from us. However I want to give him one last opportunity to change his mind and prevent from being deleted. Therefore I want to include a button saying “Keep me on the list”. I am wondering where I should link this button to or if there are any tags/variables that can be used for this action? 
Thanks so much for any help on this.

icon

Best answer by Ashley I. 9 February 2023, 15:23

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi @giannagnv ,

Welcome to the Community! Happy to help you with your question about your Sunset Flow.

In my experience, I will generally link that final “Keep me on the list” button to the home page of the website or a specific product or category page I would like to pull their attention towards. Though with this approach, the subscriber would not see any verbiage to indicate that they have successfully reactivated their subscription. 

If you would like to make it a little more clear to the user that they will be staying on the list, there are a few things you can do to take this one step further:

1. Create a landing page for recovered Sunset flow subscribers. When a user clicks that button to confirm their subscription, you can take them to a non-indexed page on your site that includes verbiage like “Thank you for confirming your subscription! You will continue to receive emails from us.” and include links to other pages on your site you want them to check out while they are there. Maybe a “Catch up on what you missed” CTA for latest launches, announcements, etc. they may have not seen while they were unengaged would do well here!

2. Add a conditional split to the Sunset Flow, and create a new segment. For users who clicked an email at any time during the Sunset Flow, they will automatically be exited from the flow and not receive the next message. If you would like to hit them with a separate automated email after they confirm their subscription, you can create a conditional split in the Sunset Flow to update the Profile properties for any user that clicks an email. Something like this could work:

From here, you can create a segment of users for recovered sunset subscribers (i.e. include subscribers where Recovered Sunset field equals True), and trigger a separate flow to send out when a users is added to this segment. You may still choose to have the button itself link to your website, but here the confirmation verbiage would be shown in an email rather than on a landing page on your website. This confirmation email would also be a great placed for a “Catch up on what you missed” section. 

3. Create a landing page with an embedded form. If you really want to go the extra mile, you can create a landing page that the “Keep me on the list” button can click to that has an embedded form which asks the user preference questions on the kind of content they would like to continue receiving. Depending on your brand, you could ask them about product category preferences, promotional vs. non-promotional content they wish to receive, and more! This will help you to ensure each users stays more engaged by receiving only the most relevant content for them. There is an excellent thread on how to use forms in Klaviyo to allow users to self-segment themselves here:

--

Hope this helps! 

-- Ashley Ismailovski 

Badge +1

Hey @Ashley I. 
thanks so much for your ideas! I really like option 2. :) 
However I am wondering how I technically implement that the person klicking that button & confirming the suscription stays in the list. Is there a variable to use like {% unsubscribe %} but to stay subscribed? Or should I link to the preference page to make sure that the person confirms the subscription there?
Thanks, Gianna

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Hi @giannagnv,

Thanks for the great follow-up question! 

There is not a “stay subscribed” variable tag, but based on the flow filters in the Sunset Flow (as well as the definitions in the segment that trigger the flow) whenever a user opens an email or clicks on any element within the email, they will automatically be exited from the flow via the filters and remain an active subscriber. It’s important to note that a Profile remains subscribed & active unless they take no action in this flow. So, it is not a requirement to re-verify their subscription as it will remain active if they take any action here :)

You may choose to use the tag {% manage_preferences %} to send the user to a default landing page like this to confirm their details:

As you can see, they will still have the option to Unsubscribe at this level. Note, the user is not required to take any action to confirm their subscription here, but they can do so if they would like.

As a better alternative if you want to take it a step further….
If you liked Option #2 from my first message, you can choose to combine that with Option #3 that sends the user to an embedded form that allows them to self-segment, and choose what kind of messages they want to receive from your brand in the future. This way, you are sending subscribers back to your website in addition to gathering more relevant data on their preferences beyond just their contact details. 

Hope this helps! 

-- Ashley Ismailovski