Solved

Emails no longer rendering correctly in dark mode (platform update?)

• 29 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any updates on how email platforms render images in dark mode.

It has come to our attention that our emails are now displaying issues in dark mode where they weren't before when we tested them on email on acid. These emails already exist on Klaviyo and were working fine until recently.

Up to now, we would put a white background image behind blocks in Figma to allow the block to display correctly in dark mode. It would appear this is no longer working.

Is anyone aware of any updates? Do you have any suggestions on how to counter this?

Best,

Dean

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 7 February 2024, 16:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @DeanThooja

Welcome to the Community! 

Have you also tried adjusting block colors in Klaviyo to help optimize in dark mode or only uploading these Figma images? Additionally, are you already aware of the dark mode best practices documentation we have on how to optimize this display setting? 

Finally, we’ve had a lot of robust conversations about dark mode in the Community that might be helpful as well to gain more insight on how to optimize display in dark mode as much as possible!

https://community.klaviyo.com/email-templates-and-coupons-32/forcing-campaign-background-in-dark-mode-8989

Thanks for the participating in the Community !

-Taylor 

Badge

Hi @DeanThooja

Welcome to the Community! 

Have you also tried adjusting block colors in Klaviyo to help optimize in dark mode or only uploading these Figma images? Additionally, are you already aware of the dark mode best practices documentation we have on how to optimize this display setting? 

Finally, we’ve had a lot of robust conversations about dark mode in the Community that might be helpful as well to gain more insight on how to optimize display in dark mode as much as possible!

https://community.klaviyo.com/email-templates-and-coupons-32/forcing-campaign-background-in-dark-mode-8989

Thanks for the participating in the Community !

-Taylor 

Hi Taylor,

We use Emailify to upload HTML email templates to Klaviyo from Figma. It has come to my attention that it is only the blocks where data is being dynamically pulled from within Klaviyo (coupon codes, name variables, dynamic abandoned checkout blocks etc) that is causing the issue. This wasn’t an issue before.

Any idea what could be causing this new issue?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @DeanThooja

Thanks for sharing this additional info! 

I can confirm that there has been no update on Klaviyo’s side. Additionally, pulling information dynamically into the template only affects the content, and not the styles that are applied, which also leads me to believe this change is most likely inbox specific on how they are rendering content in dark mode, which unfortunately we cannot control, but only share best practices on how to optimize! 

I am very sorry I cannot help troubleshoot more! I know dark mode can be extremely frustrating! 

-Taylor