Question

Prevent Klaviyo generating hundreds of dynamic discount codes in Shopify

• 24 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can assist. 

I have a Klaviyo Newsletter Signup form on my website that triggers a Klaviyo welcome flow. The form generates a dynamic coupon code for a customers first order which is then sent to them in their first email.

My issue is that Klaviyo is setting up 600 coupon codes in my Shopify every day, despite my store only being new and having a couple of signups and coupons sent out daily. At this rate, I am going to use up my shopify discount limit very quickly. How can I prevent Klaviyo generating any further codes until the existing ones have been used, or not generating so many? I’m assuming it’s because they have a 30 day usage period so new codes need to be generated each day with a new expiry date one day later than those produced the day before, but I don’t need anywhere near 600 producing daily at this stage.

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +58

Hi @Jenn_C, welcome to the community!

From what I remembered, the limit of discount codes in Shopify was 10 or 20 million codes.  So if that’s your primary concern, I don’t think that’s an issue.

However, the documentation in Klaviyo does say that they generate code for Flows in batches of 100:

Unique coupon codes for live flow emails are generated automatically in batches of 100. When the number of coupon codes is depleted below 100, or if the price rule of expiration period change, Klaviyo will generate another 100 coupon codes. This ensures that there are always enough codes available for live flow emails, but it can also lead to a large number of coupons generated in Shopify as well as in the Total coupons tab in Klaviyo. 

So I’m not sure why you’re seeing 600 codes every day, do you have other codes in other Flows? Is it for the same coupon code batch (Same Coupon Name)?

Badge

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply.

I guess it’s not a major issue in terms of codes running out then, but it isn’t helpful for my discounts page to be filled with Klaviyo lists and having to filter through them to find other codes I may have. It’s workable, but just seems unnecessary.

I don’t have any other codes in other flows. It is the same coupon name, except the date and time that is added in brackets after the name obviously changes. The codes all seem to be different codes to the previous day too.

Another reason it’s frustrating is that when it generated the first batch of 600 codes, I set the rule that they could be combined with product discounts and shipping discounts in my store, but each time a new batch is generated they are set not to combine. 

If it can’t be helped, I can live with it, but I had also read the Klaviyo documentation which is what led me to posting on here in case I was misunderstanding it.

Thanks

Hi @Jenn_C @retention 

I have raised this very same question to Klaviyo Support before and not arrived at a solution, so jumping on this thread in case something comes of it.

In my case, we typically have 100 codes created every day. Oddly, there are days where only 3 are created, which adds to my eagerness for an explanation here. Regardless how many it is, we can go days with 100s of daily codes generated when <10 are actually required. Bizarre that the system works this way, so echoing Jenn’s comments that it’s unnecessary and mostly just tedious to work with.

Would love a way we can avoid the default code generation and only trigger it when it’s needed.

Thanks,

Amelie