Solved

Using date property to show/hide block

• 4 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +4
  • Active Contributor I
  • 12 replies

I have a custom property that is being used as a “Birth Date” for the child of expectant or new parents.  It is either their due date or the date the baby was born.

I would like to have blocks that show/hide based on whether they:

1. are still pregnant 
  2. In the 3rd trimester Or has a baby 0-4 months old
  3. has a baby 2 -12 months old
  4. has a baby/toddler 9 months - 2 years
  5. etc. 

Is this possible? What would the syntax be for that?

icon

Best answer by Manny Singh 4 January 2023, 14:54

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Hey @NRBW welcome to the community!

Very interesting use case! I like the way you’re thinking here.  I don’t know how to compare the dates, but @In the Inbox brings up a great point from the below thread of a similar question regarding email size. 

It looks like you’ll have a lot of options/blocks and this may increase the email size to where it gets clipped.  Perhaps a better way would be to create segments based on those metrics and then create campaigns/flows for those segments (ie. Still pregnant, baby, toddler, etc..)

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @NRBW & @Mailbox Manny 

I love this topic - what is the best use cases for the show/hide content blocks!

Ultimately, I think it depends on how much content you will be changing per condition. If you’re just changing a headline or small block of text, that might be Ok assuming the rest of your email is fairly short. 

We want your messages to render in full and the biggest issue with multiple show/hide blocks is clipping in Gmail. 

So, if you have multiple large blocks of text/images/etc., rather than use the Show/Hide blocks, I’d create the different versions of the messages and then user the profile properties to filter users into different tracks within your flow. 

In terms of the different conditions you outlined based on the custom date property for the “birth date” or expected date, you would need to set your conditions based on rough durations before/after that date.

What is the trigger for this flow?

I hope this helps! Please let @Mailbox Manny or I know if you have any additional questions!

Best,

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

@NRBW 

I don’t know if there is a way to say person|lookup: ‘Birthdate’ is within X number of day. Based on my previous inquiry linked above asking about show/hide based on current date - Don’t think you can call the current date there, but I could be wrong. If you find out that you can do ranges of dates or something, please do let me know!

Really wish we could set conditional content based on segment membership - that would give us so much flexibility. Patiently waiting for a feature upgrade, but not hopeful, lol. 

The fastest and least complicated workaround is to create segments of these different customers as mentioned above and send separate campaigns. Or use conditional splits based on those dates in flow to send different emails. 

Another way you could make this work you could create a few flows to update an additional profile property that says what stage they’re at. 

Disclaimer: I’m thinking through this as I type it so there may be some holes in my logic - but if nothing else should give you some food for thought!

So for instance, you create a flow that triggers on the birthdate 

• Set a delay of 30 days and update a profile property, Stage - 1 month old
  • Add a another day of 30 and update profile property, Stage - 2 month old 
  • so on and so forth. 

Then you can use the conditions: 

‘1 month old’ in person|lookup: ‘Stage’ or ‘2 month old’ in person|lookup: ‘Stage’ 

Just make sure you don’t have it set to repeat every year like a birthday email would. The downside though, is if they have another kid and update that date to reflect the additional child, these wouldn’t get updated - but that’s probably already an issue for you. 

Then for the pre-birth stuff - let’s say you have a flow that triggers 9 months before the birthdate. What I don’t know is, if someone joins your lists and adds the date - and it’s only 7 months away, I’m not sure if it will still trigger that flow. 

But in that case, you could also trigger the profile property off of a segment instead. 

• If birthdate is at least 3 months away - that’s your pregnant segment. 
  • If birthday is in the next 3 months - that’s your 3rd trimester segment

You could of course use all segments to trigger the flow instead of triggering by the date but that’s A LOT of flows. 

Hope that helps!