Solved

Email sign ups defaulting to 'Never subscribed' (Gravity Forms integration into Klaviyo)

• 24 May 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Hello! 

I am trying to improve email deliverability for a sender in Australia. 

The current sign up process is as follows; 

1. Users fill in their details via a Gravity Form on a Wordpress website
  2. Users data is pulled across to a Klaviyo list via the Gravity Forms Klaviyo Add-on
  3. Users are sent a Welcome Flow

Traditionally, this list has been set as a ‘double opt-in’. However, as the sign up form is not set up through Klaviyo, it doesn’t look as though the automated ‘confirm subscription’ email is being sent. 

Yesterday I tested setting the list to ‘single opt-in’. I created a new Gmail testing email and signed up through the website.  I could see my data was recorded in the Gravity Form and successfully pulled across to Klaviyo. Though, my profile was still marked as ‘Never subscribed’. Despite this, I received the Welcome Flow to my inbox and could open it/click around. 

I would really love some help resolving the questions below:

1. Can I enable the ‘double opt-in’ confirm subscription email without having a Klaviyo sign-up form activated? 
  2. If I can’t activate the automated ‘double opt-in’ confirm subscription email, how can I ensure email subscribers are being successfully marked as ‘Subscribed’? Do I have to action something on the Gravity Forms side or the Klaviyo side?
  3. Knowing there’s a list of subscribers who have been incorrectly marked ‘Never subscribed’, is there a best process to follow to accurately update their profiles?

Any help would be very much appreciated! 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I’ve added some images below for reference. 

Gravity Forms Klaviyo Add-On

Gravity Forms Klaviyo-Add On

What appeared in Klaviyo after I subscribed through Gravity Forms

icon

Best answer by bluesnapper 24 May 2024, 10:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

It sounds like you're having some trouble with the email subscription process using Gravity Forms and Klaviyo. I’ve tried to break it down into simpler steps and find some solutions that could assist you.

• Firstly, Check your current settings: Ensure your Gravity Forms are correctly integrated with Klaviyo and that the data is being pulled across accurately. Go to your Gravity Forms settings and ensure that the Klaviyo add-on is properly configured. Double-check that the form fields are mapped correctly to your Klaviyo list fields.
  • Use single opt-in temporarily: I’ll touch base on the double opt-in issue below, in the meantime setting your list to 'single opt-in' can help ensure that new subscribers are marked as 'Subscribed' and receive your welcome emails.
  • Manually update subscribers: For those marked as 'Never subscribed', you can export their information, update their status to 'Subscribed' in a CSV file, and re-import it into Klaviyo.

Now, let's address your specific questions:

Can I enable the ‘double opt-in’ confirm subscription email without having a Klaviyo sign-up form activated?

• No, Klaviyo's double opt-in process requires their sign-up forms. Without using a Klaviyo form, the confirmation email won't be sent automatically. This Klaviyo article could assist with Understanding the Double Opt-in process.

If I can’t activate the automated ‘double opt-in’ confirm subscription email, how can I ensure email subscribers are being successfully marked as ‘Subscribed’?

• Use the 'single opt-in' process. This will automatically mark new subscribers as 'Subscribed' without needing them to confirm via email. However, remember to watch for any fake sign-ups as there's no confirmation step.

Do I have to action something on the Gravity Forms side or the Klaviyo side?

• For 'single opt-in', make sure your Gravity Forms are linked to Klaviyo and that your list settings in Klaviyo are set to 'single opt-in'.

Knowing there’s a list of subscribers who have been incorrectly marked ‘Never subscribed’, is there a best process to follow to accurately update their profiles?

• Export the list of 'Never subscribed' contacts, update their status to 'Subscribed' in a CSV file, and re-import it into Klaviyo to update their profiles. You could also reference the Troubleshooting sign-up forms article.

Hope this helps :)

​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

Welcome to the community @MoB 😀

To follow up on @eCom2Win_Marketing response to your question “Can I enable the ‘double opt-in’ confirm subscription email without having a Klaviyo sign-up form activated?

Yes, you can. The double opt-in is set at a list level and so it does not need to be a Klaviyo form. So long as the form is correctly pushing to the list where you have double opt-in enabled, it is the addition of a contact’s email to that list that triggers the confirmation email sent by Klaviyo. 

But (always a but...) I have read that that some 3rd party apps/forms that are using the old Klaviyo APIs can cause issues. I noticed that your gravity add-on was last updated by the dev, EFE Technology, way back in March 2021 which is always a red flag! (see below)

Gravity forms does have this Gravity/Klaviyo add-on their directory https://www.gravityforms.com/add-ons/klaviyo-and-gravity-forms/ last updated April 2024. Not expensive either $59USD. I recommend looking at that as an alternative to your current add-on as that may solve your issue.

On your other point Knowing there’s a list of subscribers who have been incorrectly marked ‘Never subscribed’, is there a best process to follow to accurately update their profiles? @eCom2Win_Marketing CSV import approach is the way to go but you just need to export the ‘opt-in’ emails and re-import into your list. When you get to the step ‘Did these contacts subscribe to email marketing messages?’. select ‘Yes, update subscription status for all imported contacts to 'subscribed'. 

Hope that helps and that you get this issue resolved!

Regards

Andy

Badge

Thanks @bluesnapper! Lovely to be here. The advice around the Gravity Forms Add-on is a major ‘aha moment’. Thank you. We’ll keep looking into this! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +39

No problem @MoB 

Post back here if that doesn’t resolve your issue,

Regards

Andy

Badge +2

Same problem here as MoB.

Just wanted to jump in and say that the connector plugin has an updated version that appears to be from the same developer, and uses the updated Klaviyo API:  ***://gravityextra.com/gravity-forms-klaviyo-premium-addon/ 

Latest update is today, to version 1.8.7. I can’t find a changelog, so I'm not sure exactly was what updated, but even after I updated to the latest version, the problem of “never subscribed” persists. I tried reaching out for support several times via different channels, but no reply.

@MoB Did you end up trying the Klaviyo and Gravity Forms plugin by CRM Perks? 

Badge

@AaronDeee we’ve installed the CRM Perks plugin and it’s worked a charm.