Skip to main content
Solved

Events Tracking on Shopify Integration

• 18 July 2024
  • 1 reply

I want to ask if this is a normal behavior for events tracking with Shopify integration. So after a few testing, I came to this conclusion: 

Events will be tracked and show up in profile in these situations:

• If a user is coming from an email. When I clicked on an email and go to the website to view product, add to cart or checkout, the events will be tracked and show in profile.
  • After a user made a purchase. When I made a purchase, Klaviyo will be able to track events in profile, and even events happened prior to the purchase will show up.

Events won’t be tracked and does not show up in profile in these situations:

• When I left my email in footer newsletter subscription, my email was synced to Klaviyo as a new profile, but it won’t track my events after that. I tested a few times by subscribing to newsletter and then did some events like view product or add to cart, and it didn’t appear in my profile.
  • Same thing even if I tried to register and login, Klaviyo still won’t be able to track my events on website.

So my question is that, is this a normal behavior for Klaviyo with Shopify integration that it will only track events in certain circumstances as above, and not be able to track events even if email is identified somewhere on the website and sync to Klaviyo? Thanks.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +59

Hi @alvin.nguyen, welcome to the community!

So to make it simple, Klaviyo can “track” a user under these scenarios that sets a cookie/session in their device/browser.

• A user has completed a Klaviyo Signup Form 
  • A user clicks a link from an Email or SMS to your site
  • An API that passes an identifiable record (e.g. external ID, email, phone number, etc)

You can read more about this here:

For example, if the footer email subscription is a Shopify Form (and not a Klaviyo Embedded Signup Form for example), then Klaviyo won’t be able to set a cookie on that user since its not a Klaviyo Signup Form.  It’s probably a Shopify Form from your Shopify Theme.  You can replace it with a Klaviyo Embedded Form for tracking to start working for that scenario.

Same thing for the Registration or Login of Shopify.  At the moment, this is not passed to Klaviyo as an “identify” API.  Though, you can certainly have your developers do that if you want that to occur.  Perhaps you can create a new Custom Event called “Logged In” or “Registered” and that will identify and start tracking the users’ events.  

Hope that clarifies how this works!