Skip to main content
Solved

Klaviyo On-site tracking & Add-to-cart trigger not working

• 5 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I’m trying to set up the abandoned cart flows for my client but have encountered an issue where none of the on-site tracking is working. I'm unsure if this is because the website is currently password-protected (pre-launch) or if it’s due to the absence of a cookie banner.

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

• Checked the Shopify-Klaviyo integration, and everything seemed fine with no errors. However, I re-integrated Shopify to ensure nothing was broken.
  • Enabled anonymous visitor tracking.
  • Verified that Klaviyo's on-site tracking app setting is enabled in the Shopify live theme.
  • Noticed that the ‘active on site’ metric reports “no data available”.
  • Accessed the site via the Klaviyo email link to ensure my profile is cookied and also visited the store in incognito mode, using ?utm_email=example@gmail.com to test.

For the “added to cart” trigger, I’ve tested two methods, including the class method as described here: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001396711

Here’s the button class code I found via the Inspect function:

<button type="submit" name="add" data-add-to-cart="" class="btn btn--full add-to-cart btn--secondary">
      <span data-add-to-cart-text="" data-default-text="Add to cart">
        Add to cart
      </span>
    </button>

And the liquid snippet I added to a ‘default product’ in the Shopify theme:

<script type="text/javascript">

var _learnq = _learnq || a];

var classname = document.getElementsByClassName("btn btn--full add-to-cart btn--secondary");

var addToCart = function() {

_learnq.push(r'track', 'Added to Cart', item]);

}; for (var i = 0; i < classname.length; i++) {

classname i].addEventListener('click', addToCart, false);

}

</script>

At this point, I’m running out of options and time to make this work. There’s absolutely no site data being reported in Klaviyo. Could you please help?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hi @ellieelisabeth

One factor that might be playing a role in this is location (if you are based in EU, EEA, UK, or Switzerland) and if the user provided consent. You mentioned that you do not have a cookie banner. 

Based on your Customer Privacy settings in Shopify, Klaviyo may not track onsite events (including Active on SiteViewed Product, and Added to Cart) for visitors to your Shopify store in the EU, EEA, UK and Switzerland, unless they have provided consent.

Hopefully this helps!

~Chloe

Badge

Hi @chloe.strange,

I appreciate your response. 

I’ve managed to speak to Klaviyo Support, who mentioned that the fact the site is password-protected could also impact tracking.

Marta