Skip to main content
Solved

Can i send newsletters to customers (with no opt in)

• 2 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi,

im fom Germany and i have 2 questions

e.g. i have many customers and collect the mails after the purchase. most of them have no opt in. its legal to send them newsletter from the legal side?

and can i send them newsletter without getting problems with klayvio? i heared klavyio gonna strike if you send newsletter to customers without opt in.

i read some german legal sides some said its legal it the person has min. one order. and some said u need an double opt in

https://eep-bloggt.de/newsletter-versand-an-bestandskunden-ist-das-moeglich/

can someone help me?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +41

Welcome to the community @VELOVATE 

There are a few considerations with consent:

• Klaviyo’s T&Cs. For Klaviyo SMS you must always have explicit consent. For marketing emails, Klaviyo prefers explicit consent. More info here: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002057172
  • Complying with country regulations (e.g. GDPR), For example, in the UK, we must have explicit consent for marketing emails plus an unsubscribe link. in some countries, it is OK to not have explicit consent - so-called implied consent - so long as there is an unsubscribe link. Transactional emails do not require consent or an unsubscribe (see below). I cannot advise you on the regulations specific to Germany, maybe others on here can.
  • Best practice for email engagement and sender reputation. If a contact has not provided explicit consent, they are less likely to engage with your emails and/or flag them as spam - either will potentially damage your sender reputation. 
  • Transactional emails. If the emails to your customers are transactional e.g relating to an order they have placed, Klaviyo will allow you to send those in a flow without opt-in and without an unsubscribe link. However, you need to approach Klaviyo support to gain approval for these transactional flows before they can start sending.

I don’t believe double opt-in is part of the European GDPR requirements. However, it prevents lists from getting invalid email submissions and spammers, so it is worth considering.

I hope that helps

Regards

Andy