Solved

How do I get a "manage preferences" link for inclusion in our product?

• 11 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

Since Klaviyo is the source of truth whether a user is subscribed or not, we want to provide a link from our web app to the preferences for that user on klaviyo’s side.  However, for the life of me, I cannot find a link for this. I expected some global link where we pass in a URL encoded email address or user ID.

In email campaigns you create within klaviyo, you can use the syntax `{% manage_preferences %}` or `{% manage_preferences_link %}`, Unfortunately that link looks dynamic and not consistent even for a given user.

I found a year old post that seems to indicate this is only possible with HOSTED pages:

https://community.klaviyo.com/lists-segments-and-profiles-35/is-there-a-way-to-change-default-link-for-manage-preferences-tag-6569?postid=26616#post26616

However, this seems crazy to require a full blown custom page for this scenario. If that is true, I also cannot find good boiler plate code to use to create a reasonably good preferences page. I’d settle for just re-creating the default one Klaviyo provides (but as a hosted page).

help?

icon

Best answer by kaila.lawrence 12 March 2024, 15:59

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @tmchow-bc, welcome back to the community!

So, there’s a number of ways for users to unsubscribe from a website that’s not linked from an email Campaign or Flow Message.

Those are: 

1. Through a Custom Hosted Page
  2. Through the generic List Specific or Global Unsubscribe Page
  3. Via the Klaviyo API

Probably the easiest one is #2, via a List Specific or Global Unsubscribe Page.

Global Unsubscribe URL

This unsubscribes the user from all Lists within your Klaviyo Account.  

You can find this here:

• (Lower Left Corner) → Settings → Other → Consent Pages (Inside Sidebar) → Global unsubscribe page (section)

See here:

Specific List Unsubscribe URL

This unsubscribes the user from the specific List, but can also unsubscribe them from all other Lists (Globally) depending on your Unsubscribe Behavior settings.

You can find this here;

• Audience (Main Sidebar) → List & Segments → Your List Name → Settings (Top Tab) → Consent (Inside Sidebar) → Unsubscribe (section)

See here:

Hope this helps!

Badge

@retention Sorry I’m not asking about the unsubscribe link, but the manage preferences link.

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey there @tmchow-bc! I did actually answer this recently in another thread:

In short, there is no global link to a preference page because the link is uniquely generated for each recipient via the {% manage_preferences_link %} tag and associated to a specific list.

Sorry I don’t have better news for you!

Badge

Hey there @tmchow-bc! I did actually answer this recently in another thread:

In short, there is no global link to a preference page because the link is uniquely generated for each recipient via the {% manage_preferences_link %} tag and associated to a specific list.

Sorry I don’t have better news for you!

@kaila.lawrence Is this even the case if we use a Custom Hosted Page on Klaviyo for this?  is that link also dynamic?

Also, when you say dynamic, is that URL unable to be generated by us using some method like a hash?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@tmchow-bc It’s definitely possible to redirect the preference page to a Custom Hosted Page for sure. That way, the {% manage_preferences_link %} would still operate dynamically as usual and so would the hosted page URL so long as the subscriber was previously cookied. 

How exactly to set that up is unfortunately outside my scope of knowledge. However, we have a super kick ass Developer Group that can guide you on the technical nitty gritty there if you want to pop in and ask. :)