Solved

How to automatically tag users with the product or type of product they've purchased?

• 31 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

I want to tag buyers with a tag that says they’re either a discount buyer or a full-price buyer. Right now I want to focus on specific products rather than order value because I’m generally only pushing a bundle that already has a price drop baked into the price, but I’m aware in future if I run a sale on something that isn’t a bundle that might throw the accuracy out. I’m also aware this doesn’t allow for people using a coupon code on other products. 

Essentially, I have no idea how to pull out discount buyers and full-price buyers with accuracy. 

So how do I set up Klaviyo to automatically tag buyers or specific products with “discount buyer” and “full-price buyer”? 

In future, I’ll use them to target specific flows.

icon

Best answer by Bobby 31 March 2024, 12:26

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

Hi @Morganabevan,

Welcome to the community!

Approach #1
You could achieve this by creating a profile property update flow that would create or update a profile property based on an item that was ordered. Creating a profile property tag in Klaviyo is essentially “tagging”.

Below is an example of how this would look as a flow:

Where I highlighted in pink is where you could select the desired products to classify someone as a “discount buyer” who would go down the first path. You would just need to insert multiple “or” statements there for each product you’d like included, which can be cumbersome depending on how many products are in your catalog. This would only need to be done once, though.

Approach #2
An alternative approach would be to group “discount buyers” and “full-price buyers” by segment.

What you could do here is create two separate segments with the desired criteria for each. The segment criteria would include criteria like “Ordered Product at least once over all time where Name equals ‘Product A’, ‘Product B’ etc.” There you could list out each product name, SKU, tag etc. that would classify that person as belonging to the ‘discount buyer’ segment or ‘full-price buyer’ segment.

You could then create separate profile property update flows, as shown above, for each segment to tag the user’s profile with each segment they’re part of.

Let me know if I could be of further help here!

Cheers,
Bobby