Solved

How to organize a messy database?

• 30 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

My clients has a large, unorganized database of nearly 900k profiles, 650k of which are active email profiles.

There is no real master list in effect here. Profiles entering the database from varying avenues are added to different lists.

I have never organized a database of this size before. 

I’m wondering do the same principles of a regular store apply here. Having one master list with everyone on it and various other lists and segments for different sign-up sources etc?

For example the client has many brick and mortar locations and capture customers email manually from the store and upload them to klaviyo.

Should all of these emails be added to the master list and be automatically added to other lists via a tagging system. How would that work?

Also if anyone could outline a process whereby I could begin to wrap my head around the database and get a system in place to clean it up, that would be amazing.

Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by KatherineB 2 May 2024, 21:13

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hey @GV123 ! This is a great question and the answer is there really isn’t a right or wrong way to do this. It’s going to depend entirely on your business’ needs and strategy. 

Can you walk us through in more detail:

1. More about the business model and how you’re utilizing Klaviyo?
  2. What kinds of lists and segments are currently set up?
  3. What sources you’re using for signups?
  4. Any custom properties and how they’re used?
  5. What IS NOT working about the current setup? What are you hoping to achieve with a cleanup?

In the meantime, I’ll call on some of Champions to weigh in with their experience as well. @ebusiness pros @bluesnapper @Omar @retention 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @GV123 thanks for your question! Providing the information @kaila.lawrence requested can help us narrow down the best strategy for list organization. In the meantime, I thought I could give you some pros and cons of different ways of doing things:

One master list from which you create segments and/or tag profiles based on the referrers.

Pros: 

• It is very easy to see list growth over time with only one source
  • You can segment out the list based on customer behavior, recent engagement, demographic info, or more
  • You could have one welcome flow with conditional splits by lead source or you could choose to have several welcome flows using property tags to split them out

Cons: 

• Flow filters become extremely important if you are targeting users with different messaging based on the opt in source instead of joining a specific list (property filters need to be identical including capitalization and spacing)
  • Identifying performance by lead source could be a bit more challenging since they all join the same list 

Several lists

Pros: 

• Easy to target each list with its own flow (and thus see performance by lead source broken down)
  • Each list will have its own welcome flow triggered by joining that list

Cons:

• You can use segments to organize your audience in the same way as using several lists achieves
  • It’s more complicated to view overall list growth with many different lists to compare
  • You must have different welcome flows for each list (not possible to have one welcome flow for all subs)

Hope this information is helpful!

Katherine