Skip to main content
Solved

Is there any need to keep active profiles?

• 10 May 2024
  • 4 replies

My question is - are there any good reasons to keep active profiles that are not opted in for marketing?

As the monthly plans are based on the number of active profiles you have, it seems silly to be paying for these if they can't really be emailed. We do send an abandon cart email however that is sent a few hours after their visit so after a few weeks, are these active profiles of any use if we won't be emailing them?

Do you recommend keeping these for a certain amount of time?

If deleting them is the way to go, is there a way to automate it so that it deletes non opted in active profiles after a certain period?

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi!

Absolutely, a case can be made for keeping them. For instance the data is still valuable when growing your business. You want to be able to look at all your data when analyzing your account and not only your most active customers. For example, being able to ask the question: “How valuable is an email subscriber compared to a customer that hasn’t opted in?” would be impossible to answer if you deleted everyone.

If budget is an issue, you could surpress the customers and keep the profiles in Klaviyo. That would let you keep the data for analysis but not have to pay for active profiles.

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

Hi @chan,

My 2 cents here - if they have not opted in to marketing I would suppress them but not delete them. 

This means you are not getting billed for them but you are still able to use them for segmentation and data analysis. It will also ensure that if they do opt in to marketing you have their full history.

I would setup a sunset flow for customers that have opted in but aren’t engaging with your content - I just answered another post on this yesterday with some thoughts:

Hope that helps! 

Thanks
David

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @DavidV , Thanks for your reply. 

This was my thinking to supress them if they are not opted in. Do you know if this can be set up to be done automatically or is it a manual process? If manual, how often would you do this? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

Hi @chan,

No problem! One thing you could do is build out a webhook back into Klaviyo inside of a flow to suppress customers. My recommendation would be to put some conditions in place (ie. some people might end up in your database and opt-in to marketing not too long after). 

There’s a great tutorial on this on the Klaviyo blog here.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
David