Klaviyo for Webinar Reports

• 26 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hey everyone!

My company has been using Klaviyo for a few years now, but we mainly use it for standard email flows and campaigns. We’re definitely not using it to its fullest potential.

I have a use case that I think Klaviyo would help with, and I want to run it by the experts to see what the recommended strategy might be.

We recently started hosting monthly webinars for our manufacturers to come and do a presentation and Q&A for our customers. We would like to be able to show our stakeholders and our manufacturers that these webinars are generating interest in their products. I think Klaviyo can do this easily by allowing us to generate reports on product views, add to carts, purchases, etc.

After each webinar we have an excel sheet of everyone who attended. Would it be best practice to upload this as a separate list and use this to generate reports? I’m thinking we could also use this to add a tag to their account, because everyone who attends is already our customer so they all have profiles. But for people attending webinars month after month, the tag list could get pretty convoluted.

What do you guys think? Is Klaviyo a good place to track the success of our webinars or is there a better way?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @HeyTylerMartin 

Great questions!

Klaviyo indeed offers capabilities for tracking customer engagement and behavior, which can be helpful in evaluating the impact of your webinars. Here are some thoughts and recommendations regarding your questions:

1. Uploading the Excel sheet of webinar attendees as a separate list can be beneficial. This will allow you to segment and analyze the behavior of webinar attendees separately, providing clear insights into their interactions with products and the brands post-webinar. That being said you could find yourself creating a lot of lists. You could also consider maintaining one list ‘webinar attendees’ which may help you better understand your audience and maintain a clean database. Ultimately, the best practice is to strike a balance between maintaining a main list for overall communication and creating additional lists for more targeted insights. 

2. While using tags to identify webinar attendees is effective, I understand your concern about potential tag clutter, especially for repeat attendees. To address this, consider implementing a systematic approach to tag management. You can create specific tags for different webinar sessions or categories and regularly review and clean up unused or outdated tags to maintain clarity and relevance. And then overtime custom properties may be a better route to take. Here is a document that provides more information about custom properties

3. Tracking Metrics: By tracking metrics such as product views, add-to-carts, purchases, email engagement, and overall customer activity post-webinar, you can gain valuable insights into the effectiveness of the webinar initiatives, which you can then share with the stakeholders and manufacturers. 

Thank you again for your question, I hope this response helped 

Cheers, 
Bethany

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Hi @HeyTylerMartin,

Welcome to the Klaviyo community - this is a great question! I think @Bethany D. has given a solid comprehensive answer here already around tags and lists. I want to add another possible option as well.

You would also be able in addition to the above create event entries that are standardised. This is normally done through the API (an example of this would be “Placed Order”), but there is a manual workaround where you are able to upload data via CSV.

You could have the event flow in like this:

And have 2 standard outcomes - “Attended Webinar” & “No Show Webinar”.

This would allow you to easily segment customers in the future that consistently show up (or not) and use these as flow triggers for your follow up emails. (Ie. “Thank you for attending” or “Sorry we missed you - but here’s the recording!”).

You would also be able to create segments like this:

And easily track performance of these customer sets (ie. how is my sales performance after customers attend one of my webinars? and how about when they’ve attended 2+ times?).

Hope that helps!

Thanks
David

Userlevel 6
Badge +24

Hi @HeyTylerMartin!

Glad to see you here in the community. Whenever possible, I encourage you to use custom profile properties and events to track activities like this, instead of tags.

Fundamentally, custom properties are more reliably maintained as a data point over time. You can have values automatically update based on actions someone takes (clicking a link for example) and there are also Profile Property Update blocks you can add to your flows for a similar purpose. No such capacity exists with tags - so it can lead to a lot of messy data that you then need to manually clean up over time.

If your company hosts webinars with a tool like Eventbrite, or even something like WebinarJam or Crowdcast, you could set up an integration with Klaviyo to track names of webinars people attended, and whether or not they registered and attended, or registered with a no show. Eventbrite is a supported integration with Klaviyo, so there’s less you’d need to manually configure with a custom API integration. Depending on how you’re hosting webinars, there may be more custom integration work required. Zapier could help you expedite that process potentially…

If that seems daunting, custom profile properties are a great place to start. You can have a hidden field on an email signup form (or form for the purpose of event registration) and that hidden field can set a specific custom property value on someone’s profile. Lots of potential with this path… You could make it as simple or complex as you desire.

Generally, I recommend you start with Text data type custom properties. They have more consistently reliable logic for flows and segment definitionsa than List and Boolean data types. Happy to explain further if you’re interested.

Meantime, this Klaviyo help doc that  @Bethany D. already gave you is a great place to get started! https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005074627#-ask-contacts-to-provide-information-that-is-collected-as-a-custom-property3

Best of luck!

Gabrielle