Solved

One profile in multiple flows

• 22 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello,

I’m looking to create an automated flow to follow up with new users that submit the signup waiver for our gym and take a trial class.

I want all new user signups to be added to a welcome series flow. I want to create an additional flow for users that were referred by a specific channel such as Instagram or referred by a friend for example.

What would be the best way to organize the profiles and flows to accomplish this?

This is what I’m thinking:

• Waiver signup form has an option to select “referred by channel”
  • Add custom property to profiles for “referred by channel”
  • All signups are added as profiles to a master list “all waiver signups”
  • Profiles are segmented/tagged by specific referral channel (eg. Instagram, referred by friend, etc.)
  • Create “welcome series” for all signups
  • Create a separate “welcome series” made for a specific channel
  • Profiles added to the “all waiver signups” list enter “Welcome Series”  flow
  • Profiles tagged with specific channel enter the flow designed for that channel

So in the end, all users should enter the same welcome series flow, but then are also entered into additional flows that are specific to their referred channel. 

It best to maintain one list that’s segmented with entirely separate flows for each referred channel?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by DavidV 23 April 2024, 07:03

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

Hi @jesseb,

Thank you for your question. Firstly - I’m a huge group fitness fan (Les Mills here in New Zealand), great to see some gym use cases here! 

My recommendation here would be this:

• Create individual sign up forms - you can either embed them directly into the URL (www.mygym.com/instagram-signup) or use UTM parameters to target the specific customer (https://www.mygym.com?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=signup_promo). Screenshot below sits in the “targeting & behaviour” settings of the Klaviyo Form Builder: 
  • In the form you can submit a hidden profile property (ie. it’s not shown to the customer) with the referral. The other option is to use the “Initial source” field. Example of hidden profile property:
  • Inside the Welcome Flow you can add conditions so that you can target your content depending on the sign up source:

I would highly recommend having only a single list (benefits here), and basing the start of the flow either on entering that list. If you have existing gym members that are added to that list, you could always filter them out by a flow filter like this (I’ve re-used signup source here because all of the forms would submit this value):

I hope that helps you on the right path! Let me know if you have any further follow up questions.

Thanks
David

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

@jesseb PS: Just thinking more about your prospective members. If you updated a value on their profile to say whether or not they have attended their trial class (this could be an easy form for the reception team to complete, or could even be done via integration of your gym software) you could add that in too as a flow filter or conditional split.

You could even push these customers that have attended a trial class but haven’t signed up into a new nurturing flow to market them the benefits of signing up to become a full member, and ask for a review about the trial class they’ve done. 

The strategies from here are endless - but thought I would add some additional thoughts 😄

Thanks
David

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @jesseb,

Thank you for your question. Firstly - I’m a huge group fitness fan (Les Mills here in New Zealand), great to see some gym use cases here! 

My recommendation here would be this:

• Create individual sign up forms - you can either embed them directly into the URL (www.mygym.com/instagram-signup) or use UTM parameters to target the specific customer (https://www.mygym.com?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=signup_promo). Screenshot below sits in the “targeting & behaviour” settings of the Klaviyo Form Builder: 
  • In the form you can submit a hidden profile property (ie. it’s not shown to the customer) with the referral. The other option is to use the “Initial source” field. Example of hidden profile property:
  • Inside the Welcome Flow you can add conditions so that you can target your content depending on the sign up source:

I would highly recommend having only a single list (benefits here), and basing the start of the flow either on entering that list. If you have existing gym members that are added to that list, you could always filter them out by a flow filter like this (I’ve re-used signup source here because all of the forms would submit this value):

I hope that helps you on the right path! Let me know if you have any further follow up questions.

Thanks
David

Hey David,

Thanks for the reply and yay to group classes. I just wrote out a long reply that got erased - so I will try this again!

Targeting based on UTM parameters is pretty cool. I’ll keep that in mind for future use cases.

We’re currently using JotForm as our gym waiver / signup form (not Klaviyo form). I figured we could use this same form to knock out two birds with one stone by having this form serve as both our gym waiver and also email signup.

I setup the Zapier integration to capture JotForm signups to Klaviyo which also adds custom property “referral channel” to the profiles (similar to what you mentioned).

I then created a segment to target profiles by these channels.

Keeping all signups on a single list makes sense and then segmenting as necessary seems the way to go.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@jesseb PS: Just thinking more about your prospective members. If you updated a value on their profile to say whether or not they have attended their trial class (this could be an easy form for the reception team to complete, or could even be done via integration of your gym software) you could add that in too as a flow filter or conditional split.

Currently, we are not using any gym software with check in system, but I would like a way to note and target profiles based on if they have or have not taken a trial class. This may have to be a manual process to update profiles.

You could even push these customers that have attended a trial class but haven’t signed up into a new nurturing flow to market them the benefits of signing up to become a full member, and ask for a review about the trial class they’ve done. 

This is exactly what I’m trying to accomplish.

To give a more specific example:

All signups (regardless of referral channel) should enter the same welcome series that would look something like this:

• email 1 - welcome to the community
  • email 2 - class descriptions and schedule
  • email 3 - member benefits and pricing
  • email 4 - bring a friend program
  • etc.

I’m trying to figure out how/where in the flow to fit in a “how was your trial class?” follow up email as soon as possible after trialing class.

The reason I originally wanted to segment by referral channel is because they may have varying trial terms. For example, ClassPass referrals may have a single class trial whereas walk-ins or Instagram referrals may have a two week trial.

Userlevel 5
Badge +21

Hi @jesseb,

No worries - oh no the absolute worse when you get through a long reply and it’s gone!!!

Let me come back to you on a few pieces:

Currently, we are not using any gym software with check in system, but I would like a way to note and target profiles based on if they have or have not taken a trial class. This may have to be a manual process to update profiles.

That makes sense! You could actually create a simple Jotform for this as well - just have the front desk fill out the email address of the customer using their trial membership/class and you could use this as a trigger as well to email out the “How did your first class go?” email. You can create a Klaviyo event (Attended first trial class) by using this zap in Zapier. 

All signups (regardless of referral channel) should enter the same welcome series that would look something like this:

• email 1 - welcome to the community
  • email 2 - class descriptions and schedule
  • email 3 - member benefits and pricing
  • email 4 - bring a friend program
  • etc.

Looks like a great welcome series! Using multiple emails is a great way to try and educate your new members. I would add a 5th email after a conditional split - if you create the “Attended first trial class” zap above, you could have a conditional split to see if that event took place on their account (say within 14 days from starting the flow) and send an email if it hasn’t to say “We haven’t seen you yet, your trial is about to expire!”. I can imagine in a gym people sign the waiver with the best intentions but never show so this could be a good way to try and drive them in. 

The reason I originally wanted to segment by referral channel is because they may have varying trial terms. For example, ClassPass referrals may have a single class trial whereas walk-ins or Instagram referrals may have a two week trial.

You could create conditional logic in the actual email that goes out (help centre here talking about building conditional logic and this article shows how to use them) and you could have something in the first email like this:

person|lookup:'referral source' == 'instagram'

and show that block with the 2 week trial, then use a block with this logic:

person|lookup:'referral source' == 'ClassPass'

A block that mentions a single class entry. You could embed this in your very first email - that way that piece of information is clear. 

Hope that helps!

Thanks
David