Solved

Retention of Unsubscribe/Spam Complainers when I move a list off Klaviyo

• 18 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have an unproductive list of about 15k that I would like to move off Klaviyo for now. I would like to retain the unsubscribe/spam complainers so that, should I add the 15k list back in the future, I will not email these unsubscribes/spams. 

icon

Best answer by Taylor Tarpley 24 March 2022, 22:48

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Hatch

Welcome to the Community!

Do you mind sharing why you would like to move these specific 15k profiles off of Klaviyo in general vs. keeping them in your account? Additionally, with this ‘unproductive list’, do you mean to say that they are unengaged and haven’t interacted with your brand in a long time? Or are they suppressed  in your account? Suppressed profiles don’t count toward your active profile count, i.e. impact your billing. It might be more helpful to keep this ‘unproductive’ list in your suppressed section of your account as you will still keep all their customer data.

If you choose to bulk delete profiles in your account, all the customer data will be lost. If you choose to re-upload the profiles who are suppressed, you will need to upload them into your suppressed profile tab by navigating to Profiles > Suppressed > Upload File. However, you will have no customer information from their previous interaction with your brand.

Hope this helps! 

-Taylor 

Badge +3

Thanks Taylor - Since your message, I did look at “suppressed” and presume that if I “manually add” them to suppressed, I can identify/move “manually suppressed” back to “Lists” at a future point in time. 

New question: how to move the list to suppressed? I looked at my list but didn’t see an option for “move.” I did see that I can upload a CSV to suppressed (download list then upload to suppressed) - but I don’t think that will move all the information/history stored in the list.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hi @Hatch

Unfortunately, no you cannot go back and forth between suppressing and ‘re-activating’ users in a sense. Suppressions are permanent in Klaviyo. A suppressed profile can only be re-activated by a user’s own action, ie. if they re-subscribe to one of your lists using a signup form. 

Moving a List of users to ‘Suppression’ will keep all their profile information and history stored. This is one of the benefits from suppressing users vs deleting them entirely from Klaviyo In order to Move your List to the Suppressions tab, I would follow our documentation here. Our documentation states that first you will need to  export this list or segment to a CSV file. Remove all columns in the spreadsheet except for the column with the header Email.

mceclip0.png

Next, find your suppression list by navigating to the Profiles tab of your account. Click the Suppressed People link in the upper right of that page and select Upload File.

When you suppress a group of people, their profiles will remain intact in your account. They will be considered "inactive," however, and you will not be able to email them. Inactive profiles do not count toward your Klaviyo plan's active profile limit. Note that, this action is permanent and it is not possible to un-suppress a group of contacts. 

Hope this helps!

-Taylor