Some profiles aren't receiving emails despite the single opt-in

• 29 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Hello Klaviyo community! I want to seek answers about three things, all of which relates to emails.

There are profiles that are tagged as ‘Subscribed’ but haven’t received any emails.

Profiles that are tagged as ‘Never Subscribed’ but cannot receive emails.

Profiles that are tagged as ‘Never Subscribed’ and can receive emails.

I’ve made sure that our list has a single opt-in option but still these issues persist. I hope you can shed light to this puzzle.

Thank you!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @veejaybee 

Thank you for posting your question in the community!

The subscription status of “Subscribed” and “Never Subscribed” simply shows whether or not the user has implicitly subscribed. The never subscribed status references contacts in your account that were likely added via your ecommerce integration where they made a purchase, didn’t explicitly opt in for marketing, but in the US they are still eligible for receiving email. Within Klaviyo, the only subscription status the will dictate whether someone receives an email is the “suppressed” status which will not send to a user.

Its hard to know exactly why these contacts are not getting the emails without a little more information, but I have two initial ideas for you to look into that might be causing the emails to not send. 

One, I would double check your segmentation criteria for your campaigns. While someone is subscribed, they might not be meeting your segmentation criteria for your campaigns. I suspect this is the primary cause of your issue.

Two, your campaigns might have Smart Sending enabled. It’s possible that some users are subscribed, but if more than one email is sent to them within a 16 hour period (this is configured in your settings so it might be different), if enabled (which it usually is by default on the campaign level), someone would be suppressed from receiving the second email if it was sent within 16 hours of receiving the first email. 

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Like @In the Inbox said, unless someone is marked as Suppressed or Unsubscribed, they’ll be mailable within your account even if it says they aren’t subscribed (Consent not collected). 

My hunch is your segmentation or list targeting in some ways aren’t grouping in those email addresses that hadn’t received a message recently. I’d check the Lists & segments tab on their profiles to see if they currently fall into the targeting you had for your recent emails that deployed.