Solved

Why Klaviyo Unsubscribed users still "Accept Marketing" and cannot re-subscribe ?

• 4 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I have shopify with klaviyo integration.

My template has newsletter subscription forms and I also use klaviyo popup. People can subscribe and they are added to a klaviyo list. No problem so far.

The issue is, if someone unsubscribe, this creates a bunch of weird issues/conflicts:

1. Inside klaviyo their profile will be marked as suppressed, however they still have the “accept marketing” status set to “true” … Why? … it feels extremely awkward to have a “accept marketing” set to true while also being unsubscribed/suppressed… This means, in shopify, this user still looks like a current subscriber. 

2. If a user unsubscribed and wants to subscribe again using a form from the shopify template, then the user will not be subscribed again, and there are no message being displayed telling the user the subscription failed… This is extremely bad. On the other hand, if the user uses the klaviyo popup to subscribe again then the subscription will work the “suppressed” status will be removed, thats good, but it should also work on standard template subscription forms.

Are these bugs? or intended “features” ? shopify or klaviyo limitations? any potential fix or workaround ?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Dov 7 April 2021, 16:45

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi!

I have the exact same issue currently, and this is what support wrote back to me:

When a profile unsubscribes it becomes globally suppressed in Klaviyo. Profiles who resubscribe can have their suppression lifted only if : 

1) They are signing up via a Klaviyo sign up form
2) They are signing up through a third party which uses List V2 API end point
3) They are added via Quick add in Klaviyo

I would recommend going over this guide to understand how resubscribes work in Klaviyo - https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005078267-Guide-to-Unsubscribes-in-Klaviyo#when-someone-unsubscribes-and-re-subscribes7
I would also recommend sending this over to your developer to confirm that customers are being added to Klaviyo via using the List V2 API end point - https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039666832#when-subscribed-to-list-is-added-to-a-profile2

We are trying to get #2 set up. Hope this helps you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @Loons,

Thank you for outlining your questions for the Klaviyo Community. And thank you @emela.husic for your informative reply.

@emela.husic is absolutely correct describing those methods of subscribed and unsubscribed profiles in Klaviyo. All of the behavior described in this post is expected at this time.

Hi!

I have the exact same issue currently, and this is what support wrote back to me:

When a profile unsubscribes it becomes globally suppressed in Klaviyo. Profiles who resubscribe can have their suppression lifted only if : 

1) They are signing up via a Klaviyo sign up form
2) They are signing up through a third party which uses List V2 API end point
3) They are added via Quick add in Klaviyo

I would recommend going over this guide to understand how resubscribes work in Klaviyo - https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005078267-Guide-to-Unsubscribes-in-Klaviyo#when-someone-unsubscribes-and-re-subscribes7
I would also recommend sending this over to your developer to confirm that customers are being added to Klaviyo via using the List V2 API end point - https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039666832#when-subscribed-to-list-is-added-to-a-profile2

We are trying to get #2 set up. Hope this helps you!

Additionally, Accepts Marketing is a Shopify-specific property that gets passed over to Klaviyo and we are working towards maintaining consistency with these statuses between Klaviyo and Shopify. Currently, you should be using the Klaviyo subscription status (rather than Accepts Marketing) as the “source of truth” for subscription status inside of Klaviyo.

Thanks and have a great day.

Badge +1

you should be using the Klaviyo subscription status (rather than Accepts Marketing) as the “source of truth” for subscription status inside of Klaviyo.

I’ve been doing it wrong then, I have a list “Active Subscribers” with condition “Accepts Marketing is TRUE”. And I will email campaign to this list.

How do I create a list/segment of “Klaviyo subscription status is TRUE”? I don’t see such metric in segment creation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @fr3eze,

To elaborate further on @dov.derin’s point of “using the Klaviyo subscription status (rather than Accepts Marketing) as the “source of truth” for subscription status”, this means to be using segments to capture customers who have subscribed to your Klaviyo lists or are currently in your Klaviyo lists. 

The segment rules for these would be “What someone has done, Subscribe to List...” or “If someone is or is not in a list, person is in X list”. The first option of “What someone has done, Subscribe to List...” would help capture customers who have explicitly triggered the Subscribe to List event to join your Klaviyo list. The section option of “If someone is or is not in a list, person is in X list” is a means to capture customers who are currently within a list. Although slight, the difference in understanding these two rules are important. I would suggest reviewing the Understanding the Subscribed to List Metric Help Center Article to learn more about this. Essentially, not all users who are in a Klaviyo list may have triggered a Klaviyo Subscribe to List event and therefore evaluating which rule or if using both rules would work best for your account based on your marketing and business strategies. 

In addition, if you haven’t incorporated a list cleaning routine, I would strongly recommend doing so since it sounds like you may not be reaching out to your most engaged contacts by using your original segment strategy. You can learn more about list cleaning and its benefits from the Guide to List Cleaning Help Center Article. 

I hope this helps!

David

Badge

will be a great suggestion for you

Badge

tonos para celular de llamadas will be a great suggestion for you