Recap discussion: [Special Edition Office Hours] Google and Yahoo's New Sender Requirements

• 18 January 2024
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Whether you attended our special edition office hours or you’re looking for a recording, you’ve come to the right place! During our office hour sessions, we reviewed Google and Yahoo’s new sender requirements, and we opened the floor for your questions. 

You can watch the replay of the most recent session below: 

Ready to take the next steps to get ready for Google and Yahoo’s new sender requirements? Follow our checklist in Klaviyo Academy

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES 

Klaviyo Help Center articles: 

Klaviyo Academy resources:

Klaviyo blog:

Google/Yahoo resources: 

Third-party DMARC tools

Looking for a partner agency to help you set up your DMARC policy? 

Check out our partner directory for a full list of partners, or fill out this form to be connected to a partner agency that meets your needs. 

You can also reach out to any of the partners listed below:  

Let’s keep the conversation going. Comment below and let us know if you’re ready for Google and Yahoo’s new sender requirements or if you have any questions on what you need to do! 

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +34

Loved this session! Super informative, and very helpful for any brand that is feeling a little lost with the new requirements. 

SmartSites is also here to help if anyone needs assistance with DMARC or any of the other compliance requirements :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Loved this session! Super informative, and very helpful for any brand that is feeling a little lost with the new requirements. 

SmartSites is also here to help if anyone needs assistance with DMARC or any of the other compliance requirements :)

Thank you so much, @Ashley I. !

Badge +4

I was looking at Postmaster and see spam rates for individual days. Is there a summary rating over time that they evaluate you on? You mentioned staying under .1%. Is that a rating over time? For example if you have a couple of days over .1%, 30 days ago and 0% every day since, what does this mean for your current ranking?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

💭 Follow-up question 

Due to Google and Yahoo’s new sender requirements, we recently moved from shared sending domain to branded sending domain. 

Since our branded sending domain is new, will it have a warming / ramp-up period again and do we need to send to most engaged segments during this period? 

Thank you!

Badge

I have completed all the steps for the requirements before Feb 1st, however I have seen a bit of a drop in open rate and increase in bounce rates as well as an email from klayvio stating that after an audit of my account that I am in fact not compliant and they sent a screen shot of the home dashboard checklist. This however doesn’t align with what I can see on my own klayvio home dashboard as all the stages are ticked as complete.? Why would this be?

Ive also noticed quite a difference in bounce rates and open rates since the 1st of February, regardless of all steps being complete - please see screenshot for reference on completed steps. 

Badge +1

💭 Follow-up question 

Due to Google and Yahoo’s new sender requirements, we recently moved from shared sending domain to branded sending domain. 

Since our branded sending domain is new, will it have a warming / ramp-up period again and do we need to send to most engaged segments during this period? 

Thank you!

Hi Pamela, 

Existing Klaviyo customers moving to a branded sending domain do not have to warm infrastructure again, as long as you have:

• A domain that has been registered for at least 30 days AND
  • You’ve used the domain to send email already (e.g., you used this domain in the past with a prior email service provider or with Klaviyo in your from address).

You can see more information in this Help Centre Guide: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402636609691

Hi,

Thanks for the session today, it was extremely helpful. I have a few questions around the dedicated sending domain. Our company has a few different brands that we need to consider and I am wondering if this is going to hurt our Sendability. Our company name is different to our website name and our emails will be sent from two different portfolios. Example below:

Company Name: Venue

Website name: OrderingPlatorm.com

Portfolio 1: Portfolio1

Portfolio 2: Portfolio 2

Will it matter that our dedicated sending domaine is orderingplatform.com but the email address is communications@venue.com and the sending name jumps between portfolio 1 and portfolio 2?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @Eleanor!

There’s a lot to unpack here, but generally speaking, you cannot have a branded sending domain different than the root domain of the sender email address. In the example you gave, you cannot use [prefix].orderingplatform.com as your branded sending domain while sending as communications@venue.com. The authentication won’t go through since you aren’t sending from the orderingplatform.com domain you configured records for. This is exactly the behavior the new sender requirements is trying to prevent: domains masquerading as identities they actually aren’t. 

However, you CAN use different identities on the same domain, such as portfolio1@orderingplatform.com and portfolio2@orderingplatform.com by switching the “from” address in your Klaviyo account when you set up your campaigns. (This is, of course, assuming your branded sending domain is [prefix].orderingplatform.com.)

Hope that helps! :)

Thank you that does help.

What if i set up just the one sending domain that is the same as the root domain. But I just update the from name each time. Will this hurt deliverability? example below of how it will look in an inbox:

Portfolio 1 <communications@orderingplatform.com>
Portfolio 2 <communications@orderingplatform.com>

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@Eleanor, changing the friendly name with the same domain does not impact deliverability as far as the email gods are concerned, HOWEVER… the big caveat with this is that it could hurt your deliverability when your confused recipients expecting emails from Portfolio 1 don’t understand why they’re now getting emails from Portfolio 2 and report it for spam. That would definitely drag your sender score down and land you in hot water!