Solved

Pop Up Timing

• 2 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

How do you measure the timing of when a pop up should appear after the page loads? Because showing too soon can discourage site visitors but showing too late we could miss an opportunity to capture email addresses? The average duration for a visitor on our homepage is 56 secs and 1 minute and 12 secs average duration for our website. We are looking to A/B test the seconds after the page loads vs the scrolling page percentage pop ups. 

icon

Best answer by retention 2 August 2023, 18:54

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +57

Hi @Hunter_Brielle, welcome to the community!

It’s great that you want to A/B test your popup strategy - I think you’ll see some lift switching from scrolling percentage to a timed delay - at least from the dozens of tests I’ve seen, this was evident. 

Considering your average homepage and site time is about 1 minute, I think a good place to start testing is a 30 second delay.  That gives plenty of time for your site to complete rendering for the visitors, and just enough for them to visually scan the site and scroll down on the page if they want to. 

If you do immediate or time delayed popups, and assuming you don’t have too many other cluttery widgets on the site, you may want to consider also including a Form Teaser especially if you are offering an incentive.  From my tests, sometimes a popup even with a time delay, users have a muscle instinct to quickly close the popup only to find out later that they want the offer/incentive after spending some time on the site.

But of course, the best practice is to continue A/B testing to find the best balance between messaging, timing, and incentives/offers. 

I’d love to hear everyone else chime in here too.