Solved

Google destination policy, popups and interstitials

• 18 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I know Google likes to be secretive about specifics, but does anyone at Klaviyo have clarification on something like this:

and whether it could be related to a Klaviyo popup? The site in question has a “call us” fly out type thing that is fine on desktop, but placed annoyingly right near your thumb (for right handed folks) on mobile. 

I wanted to test a klaviyo popup form teaser but the owner is getting pushback from the agency )that put the fly out there) that it would be “bad” because of the above. I think their addition to the site is the potential issue.

icon

Best answer by Dov 18 November 2022, 17:55

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

Hi @wernstrom,

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Our understanding is Google’s intent for the policy change is to block phishing popups and popups that the same user repeatedly dismisses. This change shouldn't have an affect on our popups because our forms should not be flagged as phishing/spam.

If any more information via Google comes to light feel free to post here. I will do the same if there are any new developments on our end.

Thanks for being an active community member!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hey @wernstrom,

Thank you for your question. Google had changed its policies several times over the past few years. What usually has a negative effect on your ranking with Google is popups/overlays that cover the majority of your content with little ability to navigate away AND the content of the overlay comes from an external source. Best way to think about it is if you receive a full screen car ad when you click through a news source (something we all experience). THAT is what they are concerned with and punish sites. Your overlays/popups should have no negative effects! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thanks @Dov and @mat.bingham , that’s what I thought. In this instance, I’m not even using a popup at all, but another agency has placed a small “contact us” flyout that on desktop is fine, but on mobile is exactly where your thumb is (if you’re right handed at least) and it can’t be dismissed.