Skip to main content
Solved

Identifying customer with SMS shortlink

• 18 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi,

Can the Klaviyo shortlink be used to “identify” the visitor on a website?

We are seeing the “Clicked SMS” metric registering for the specific profile in the Klaviyo CMS, but Klaviyo doesn’t appear to identify the visitor via this method and as a result is not tracking the profile on our website. The other referrer methods we use via email campaigns (we don’t use Klaviyo for our email marketing at this time) and sign up forms are able to correctly identify a visitor to a profile via some customer integrations.

The ability for the SMS Shortlink to identify a customer seems like it should be something boiled into the shortlink.

I was going to try to add a UTM tag for email in Settings, but noticed Klaviyo explicitly says don’t use personal data (see screenshot below)...would it be wise to ignore this message?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

---

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hey @OH-Tyler! Apologies for the delay here. I’m catching up after the holiday!

If your tracking pixels are installed correctly and the customer is not using incognito or has rejected cookies, you’re right it should be tracking. I can see you’ve opened a support ticket on this issue so I’ll let the support team investigate for you further.