Skip to main content

If you’re looking to increase your customer engagement and drive more sales, an omnichannel marketing strategy is a must.

An omnichannel marketing approach means communicating consistently across different channels, providing a seamless experience for your customers.

Email and SMS are two powerful communication channels that enable you to create cohesive, personalized experiences that resonate with your audience and foster loyalty. Properly aligning email and SMS strategies helps your brand reinforce your message, reach a wider audience, and optimize engagement rates. 

Below are a few key tactics my team has used to effectively unify email and SMS marketing efforts for the brands we manage on Klaviyo:

Use a multi-step form to collect email & SMS consent

The first step of any unified marketing strategy is ensuring subscribers have opted in on your core channels. With Klaviyo, it’s easy to collect email and SMS consent all in one go using a multi-step sign-up form. This allows new website visitors to choose the channel(s) they prefer to receive content on.

Luxury footwear brand Stubbs & Wootton implemented a multi-step form for new subscribers after migrating their email efforts over to Klaviyo and adding SMS as a marketing channel. They also contacted existing email subscribers via a segmented campaign and targeted on-site form to ask if they would like to hear from the brand via text.

Within two months, Stubbs & Wootton saw a 26% increase in Klaviyo-attributed revenue thanks to their SMS strategies.

Add conditional splits to flows to optimize performance

After initial sign-up, you can continue to allow your subscribers to “choose their own adventure” throughout the customer journey by adding conditional splits to your flows to segment users based on the channels they are subscribed to. 

Stubbs & Wootton, for example, added a split to their abandoned cart flow which checks to see if a subscriber is opted in to receive SMS. If so, the first message in the flow is a text message rather than an email.

After implementing this strategy, we saw an 81% increase in click rate, and a 22% increase in placed order rate.

Create consistent experiences across email & SMS

Whether your subscribers are receiving an email or SMS from your brand, it’s important that their experiences remain consistent from one channel to another.

Start by planning your campaigns in tandem, ensuring that both channels complement each other. For instance, you can send an email announcing a new product launch and follow up with an SMS reminder to create a sense of urgency. Or, you can leverage SMS as a VIP channel that offers early access to sales or product launches. 

Stubbs and Wootton recently enjoyed a successful launch for an in-demand product that was back in stock. For this promotion, they sent out a complementary email and SMS campaign to subscribers on the day of the re-stock to increase visibility.

Compared to a previous email-only launch, Stubbs and Wootton enjoyed an 11% increase in revenue by adding SMS campaigns to their launch strategy.

What unified email and SMS strategies have you implemented for your brand? How does your brand leverage Klaviyo as part of your omnichannel marketing strategy?

-@Ashley I (Ashley Ismailovski)

Learn more about me on my Champion profile page or reach out to my agency SmartSites to help you out with anything you need! 

Resources available to keep learning: 

Be the first to reply!