Solved

Question on "viewed product" "active on site" in the metrics

Badge +1

Hi,

I am curious on how you guys define “active on site” and “viewed product”. Because in my cohort analysis, the number seem to be much lower consider the amount of traffic the site is getting.

For example, if a user come to my site the first time and entered his email and continued browsing products, does klaviyo count that as 1 “viewed product” and 1 “active on site”? or does this user has to come to site again, and until then klaviyo will track that metrics?

Can someone explain exactly how this works? 

THX

icon

Best answer by David To 14 March 2023, 18:52

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @pzonglobal,

Welcome to the community, happy to help.

• Active on Site tracking
    This metric is tracked whenever an identifiable browser visits your website.
  • Viewed Product tracking
    This metric is tracked whenever an identifiable browser views a product page on your website (for ecommerce stores).

Example: when I click on email link I will be redirected to website on customer profile you will see “Active on Site” parameter and if after that i will go to product page you will also see “Viewed Product” metric.

You can find more about that here: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005076767

But this data could be different than in your analytical system like GA because Klaviyo only cookies users one of 3 ways:
1. User signs up through a Klaviyo signup form
2. User clicks through Klaviyo email to your website
3. You enable an identify API call (requires API work and a developer to set up)

More about this you can find in this community post by @alex.hong 

Badge +1

@Jakub 

Thank you for your reply.

1)
The number still seems off, I checked my list, and for February, in total i have generated 3235 new subscribers, if what you say is true, then in the “active on site” cohort, the first month will be 3235, not 1749. Because all of them were active on the site when they left their email?

2)
About how klaviyo cookies , would the example below be consider identify API call?

A user comes to the site and left his email through a different popup form(not klaviyo’s) but is synced with klaviyo meaning the users it collected will goes to a list in klaviyo. Would klaviyo be able to track this group of users’ behavior such as “active on site” and “viewed product”? 

3)

• Active on Site tracking
    This metric is tracked whenever an identifiable browser visits your website.
  • Viewed Product tracking
    This metric is tracked whenever an identifiable browser views a product page on your website (for ecommerce stores).

What is considered an identifiable browser? For example, a new user comes to site and left his email. His email is then collected by klaviyo, the user didn’t leave the site, didn’t refreshed the page, is he now an identifiable browser? or does he needs to come visit the site again to be tracked?

Thank you so much

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @pzonglobal 

Ad.1

Remember that Klaviyo only track identified users and system as GA count all visitors. These days users tend to use different tracking blockers which can results in higher discrepancies. More about that you can read in this community answer by @David To 

Ad.2

Unfortunately no, using other emended form like Shopify or other third party signup forms will not trigger Klaviyo cookie. 

@alex.hong mention exactly the same situation here:

Ad.3

A visitor can be identified when they: 

Badge +1

@Jakub 

Thank you for your detailed response, because it’s very important for us to get the best of klaviyo and move on from there.

The follow up question will be how to cookie a user even if they didn’t signup by klaviyo form neither did they click a link from klaviyo email? 

My end goal is to get users to leave their email while being able to see who viewed product and who were active on site.

What’s your recommendation?

Thank you jakub, ur the best :)

Badge +1

@Jakub please answer the question above, thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @pzonglobal,

My approach would be to recreate all signup form on your website to be from Klaviyo. Then Klaviyo will have all data sources and you can use it as reliable source for analysis.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Hey @pzonglobal,

Even site visitors who don’t signup through a Klaviyo built form can be cookied and recognized by Klaviyo. To put it simply, so long as your store is integrated with Klaviyo, whenever a site visitor providers an email address; they’ll be cookied. 

In fact, one of the most common ways visitors get cookied is through the checkout page where visitors would fill out their contact information. 

In addition to the great resources @Jakub provided above, I would recommend taking a look at our Getting started with Klaviyo onsite tracking and Understanding cookies in Klaviyo Help Center articles.

David

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@pzonglobal David is correct, any Klaviyo form, or any checkout connected to Klaviyo does the job. What can interfere with this is the cookie window in iOS, browsers blocking cookies, incognito mode and a host of other things. You can try something like Blotout Edgetag (which we’re testing at the moment) to identify close to 100% of profiles that take actions on the site. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @matthewstuckings,

Can you elaborate more about Blotout? Is this really so easy to implement (one line of code), is this something that you need to include in you Privacy Policy? How they pricing look like?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Jakub yes, it’s pretty easy to install as long as you have access to Cloudflare or whatever you’re using at that level. Yes, totally include it to be safe. Pricing looks fine to me, especially if you can get the results that they claim. For us, it will be like 15:1 return if it works out. Still early stages of testing here but I’d look into it.