Solved

Sign-up Forms with Segments

• 24 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello everyone,

I'm facing a situation with my email marketing strategy and need some advice. Here's the scenario:

I'm sending out emails to subscribers who have opted in to receive alerts for new blog posts. In my blogs, I've categorized content into four different segments based on audience relevance. Now, I want to include these segments in the email so subscribers can choose which type of content they want to receive in the future.

My question is, how can I generate links for each segment so that when a subscriber clicks on a specific link in the email, they are automatically added to that segment and the email workflow begins?

icon

Best answer by Victoria_ap_G 24 April 2024, 10:19

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Muhammad ,

Thanks for your question.

For this, I would use links that update select profile properties. See this article here for how to create these links. 

So the process would be:

Customer clicks link in email eg. “Cake Recipes”

Customer profile is updated with Property=Cake

Set up a segment for Property=Cake

Trigger a flow, or use dynamic content for anyone with Property=Cake

Hope that helps!

Victoria

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @Muhammad 

@Victoria_ap_G mentions a great way to update a custom property for a single value from a link click.

However, the issue I’ve found with updating a custom property this way is that it won’t add multiple values to a list (array) - it just overwrites the existing value with the new value. Unless others on the forum say they’ve achieved this!

You could create multiple custom properties that hold a single value, but that may get unwieldy.

So, if you need to have multiple preference options for the contact to select e.g cake recipes, vegan recipes etc and want to store those in a list data-type. then customising a Klaviyo email preference page might be the way to go. More info here: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005251848

You can also include something similar to push custom property values to a profile from your sign-up forms at the point of capture.

Alternatively, I’ve used survey apps to grab this preference info and push it to a custom property.

Hope that helps

Andy 

Badge

Hello @bluesnapper,

Thank you for your guidance. 

Unfortunately, this workds for lists, but not for segments. I need email links that update the segments.

If you can provide assistance with that along with multiple values??

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi @Muhammad 

The approach I and @Victoria_ap_G  have described will work with segments.

You create a segment based on a custom property. A contact will be added to the segment when a custom property is updated to meet the segment conditions.

Then, you create a flow that’s triggered when a contact enters that segment. Below is an example segment for a custom property called ‘info_guides_emailed’ which is a list property. In this example, if a contact has the list values [“test”, ‘”other”] in that list custom property they will be added to the segment as I’ve used ‘contains test’ and type list.

The issue I mentioned with updating a list custom property from a link click approach described by @Victoria_ap_G is that updating this custom propery with a new value, say, ‘new’, will overwrite and replace the existing values ‘test’ and ‘other’. At least that’s what i’ve found. Happy to be proved wrong!

Does that explain it OK?

Regards

Andy 

Badge

Hi @Muhammad 

@Victoria_ap_G mentions a great way to update a custom property for a single value from a link click.

However, the issue I’ve found with updating a custom property this way is that it won’t add multiple values to a list (array) - it just overwrites the existing value with the new value. Unless others on the forum say they’ve achieved this!

You could create multiple custom properties that hold a single value, but that may get unwieldy.

So, if you need to have multiple preference options for the contact to select e.g cake recipes, vegan recipes etc and want to store those in a list data-type. then customising a Klaviyo email preference page might be the way to go. More info here: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005251848

You can also include something similar to push custom property values to a profile from your sign-up forms at the point of capture.

Alternatively, I’ve used survey apps to grab this preference info and push it to a custom property.

Hope that helps

Andy 

@bluesnapper 

from your reply above, I understand that you are talking about preferences page. This works for lists not segment, if I am not wrong. Otherwise the issue of one unique value with property is still there. 
Now, I have no way except converting my segments into lists and for this I have to concert each segment into lists to sort out the issue with multiple values.