Solved

How to add a NS recordy type in Shopify to set up a branded domain

• 22 December 2023
  • 22 replies

Badge

Hi, I am not sure if I am missing something here but I am trying to set up my branded sending domain. My website is built in Shopify, Klaviyo recommends the dynamic routing option which then asks me to enter a TXT record (no problem) and 4 NS records. What is an NS record? There is no option to add this in Shopify. Thanks in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by I Want Coffee 8 January 2024, 03:10

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Hi @lydsalison 

Thank you for your question in the Klaviyo Community, I’m happy to help!

If you are using a branded dedicated domain to send your emails (great choice!) then you need to add DNS and records to your domain.  

These records need to be added to where your domain is hosted, ie; Go Daddy, 1st Domains etc, not within Shopify itself.

This article here will help explain it in more detail: https://help.klaviyo.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000357752

Hope this helps 😊

Kylie

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hey all,

Quick follow up to this. You can actually transfer your domain into Shopify so that all of the records can be edited directly within Shopify itself. Most brands don’t do this, but it is possible! Just wanted to clarify that a bit.

Let us know if your domain is in Shopify or with another 3rd party and we can help!

Userlevel 1

@lydsalison Here’s the solution - In Klaviyo you should select “Static” instead of “Dynamic”, select “Other” domains and you will then be given the option to enter CNAME instead of NS which is what is in Shopify

@lydsalison Here’s the solution - In Klaviyo you should select “Static” instead of “Dynamic”, select “Other” domains and you will then be given the option to enter CNAME instead of NS which is what is in Shopify

Thankyou!! Been searching all day for this solution 🙌

OMG Thank you for this. I just went through Hover’s help chat and was even more confused. Really wish the Klaviyo training went into these NS records and how to troubleshoot, there was ZERO mention of them. 

Userlevel 1

@sketchynotions @CalebOD glad I could help! 
I spent ages searching with no specific or clear answers, and just decided to take the risk and give all available settings a bash before coming across the working solution

Hopefully @lydsalison has some way of making my answer the actual answer in this thread as generic responses from Klaviyo partners should not be the default “solutions” 😂

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey everyone, I’m jumping in here to clarify a few things. The help doc Kyile linked has an entire section on Static vs. Dynamic routing. However, I can pass feedback along to our Documentation team to expand this section and make this more clear.

Additionally, I’ve updated the Best Answer to the solution from @I Want Coffee.

Lastly, I want to remind everyone to be respectful of each other in this community. We’re all here to help each other learn and be better marketers. Answers are given with best intentions. Ask clarifying questions and follow up if you still need help.

Thanks all, and have a wonderful week! :) 

Badge +1

@kaila.lawrence, thank you for your help! I also have some questions on this topic. I’m not seeing an option to switch to “Static” on the Emails → Domain settings. Right now, the instructions say to add to the NS records, but our client is hesitant to do so and requested that he update the CNAME records instead. Can he go ahead and do so or do we need to remove the current domain and restart the process?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@mediadirector Hey! It looks like the updates you made previously are still pending which is probably why you can’t make changes right now. Remember, the CNAME records can only be updated with the Static routing option. Given that it looks like you’ve already set it up with Dynamic routing and NS records, I’d suggest sticking with that as it authenticates. It can take up to 48 hours, though it is usually sooner. 

If your client is adamant about switching, you’ll need to wait until it finishes processing, pause all sending on Klaviyo so there’s no interference with any flows or campaigns, remove the existing records, and restart the process using Static routing. 

These permissions are only used for tasks related to your sending, and subdomain delegation does not impact your brand's root domain or any other subdomains so your client doesn’t need to be nervous so long as all their sending is paused during authentication. 

Hope that helps! :) 

Badge +1

@kaila.lawrence, so based on what you shared in your last paragraph, that means updating the NS records won’t cause the client’s website to go down? That is the concern!

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@mediadirector Updating records for the sending subdomain, definitely not! Just make sure not to touch any records associated with the root domain and the website will be unaffected.

Hi All, @mediadirector @kaila.lawrence 

having difficulty understanding the DNS / NS records in shopify. 

When pasting the records, what does NS fall under in shopify? 

See below pic of the record type we can upload. NS is not listed so wondering if it falls under another name???

I switched to the static option on Klaviyo and entered the DNS records under CNAME on Shopify, gave it 48 hours, but they still won’t verify? Still pending under “Branded sending domain“ Very confused.

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey @RJH! Super sorry your question slipped through the cracks. If you haven’t figured it out yet, Shopify doesn’t use NS records. Instead, you use the CNAME type with the Static routing option from Klaviyo. 

Hope that helps (even if I am late to the punch)!

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

Hey there, @aoireal! If you’re 100% sure you copied the records and your API key exactly right, I suggest reaching out to Support for further investigation. There’s something deeper going on that requires someone who can peek under your hood.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I switched to the static option on Klaviyo and entered the DNS records under CNAME on Shopify, gave it 48 hours, but they still won’t verify? Still pending under “Branded sending domain“ Very confused.

@aoireal I see the issue. The se highlighted domain should be your own domain not Klaviyo.com

Once this is updated, then it will work.

Hey all,

Quick follow up to this. You can actually transfer your domain into Shopify so that all of the records can be edited directly within Shopify itself. Most brands don’t do this, but it is possible! Just wanted to clarify that a bit.

Let us know if your domain is in Shopify or with another 3rd party and we can help!

My domain is hosted via Shopify. I understand I need to select “Static” vs. “Dynamic,” and ONLY use CNAME records, correct? Thanks. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@IronDoggy Close! There is one TXT record that is also required. These are the records you need to include (where you replace helloworld.com with your own domain):

@kaila.lawrence, Thanks - I’m good to go.

I meant to “Only” use (specifically) CNAME records (since Shopify does not accept NS records). I’m aware of the additional TXT record that was listed (which I also updated and am now “Active”). Thank you! 

Badge +1

After successfully setting up the sending email domain in Klaviyo, how do you update the sending email domain in the flows ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

@Randyt816 Unfortunately for existing flows, you’ll need to manually update your From address in each email. Once you update your default settings, any net-new campaigns and flows will be updated accordingly. 

Badge +1

Thank you !!