Solved

What's the best method to make a VIP flow (segments VS event based) ?

• 9 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello,

I’m curently making a VIP flow for an e-com brand and I’m looking for the best way to achieve this.

The VIP program is tier based on number of purchase and LTV.

Here is the 2 methods I'm hesitating on :

• Segments based trigger => so basicaly one flow for each VIP tier (3 VIP flows in total)
    • Gold: 
      • Placed Order is at least 9 over all time
      • Total Customer Lifetime Value is greater than 400
    • Silver 
      • Placed Order is at least 6 over all time
      • Total Customer Lifetime Value is greater than 250
      • Total Customer Lifetime Value is less than 400
    • Bronze
      • Placed Order is at least 3 over all time
      • Total Customer Lifetime Value is greater than 150
      • Total Customer Lifetime Value is less than 250
  • Event based trigger (placed order) => only one flow

What is the best way to achieve this ? And why?

Thanks a lot !

icon

Best answer by In the Inbox 9 June 2023, 17:05

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +29

Hi @Nico01 

Thank you for posting your question in the community! 

First, I love the set up of the VIP tiers and flow. This will be a great sequence of messages to support your most loyal customers.

In terms of your question, in my opinion, it all comes down to how many times should a user be able to enter the flow. Segment-based flows only allow users to enter them once, whereas, event-based flows allow users to repeatedly enter the flow. 

So, if its likely someone could go from one tier to the next, and back-track in terms of tiers (ie. they didn’t meet the criteria any longer within a time window), then the segment-based approach might not be the best.

The other condition would be reporting. If you use an event based trigger, the flow will include a number of filters to exclude people from certain messages. This might inflate your reporting (you’ll see a high number of skips), plus you’ll need to be sure that all of the filters/conditional splits are working correctly.

Whereas if you do a segment approach, one flow per segment, then I think the logic and reporting will be much more clean and easy to verify.

I don’t think either approach is right or wrong, but depending on the loyalty program and your preferences, one might be better than the other.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

@In the Inbox 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @Nico01 

Thank you for posting your question in the community! 

First, I love the set up of the VIP tiers and flow. This will be a great sequence of messages to support your most loyal customers.

In terms of your question, in my opinion, it all comes down to how many times should a user be able to enter the flow. Segment-based flows only allow users to enter them once, whereas, event-based flows allow users to repeatedly enter the flow. 

So, if its likely someone could go from one tier to the next, and back-track in terms of tiers (ie. they didn’t meet the criteria any longer within a time window), then the segment-based approach might not be the best.

The other condition would be reporting. If you use an event based trigger, the flow will include a number of filters to exclude people from certain messages. This might inflate your reporting (you’ll see a high number of skips), plus you’ll need to be sure that all of the filters/conditional splits are working correctly.

Whereas if you do a segment approach, one flow per segment, then I think the logic and reporting will be much more clean and easy to verify.

I don’t think either approach is right or wrong, but depending on the loyalty program and your preferences, one might be better than the other.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

@In the Inbox

Very clear !

Thanks