Solved

Activating dedicated sending domain

• 31 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hi Everyone,

I have updated the sending domain and DNS changes has been done. But, I want to keep the existing sending domain for some time before the IP warming is done.

My active send: Double opt-in email

Want to activate: Welcome Series

My question is:

1. Should I use the new dedicated domain for both the campaigns ? My send volume is less like maximum 5 sends for double opt-in and followed by the welcome series which will be received by the same double opt-in audience
  2. If I do not change the ‘Default sender email address’, Klaviyo will keep sending emails from the existing email address or it will take the new domain ?

Thanks in advance

Suchi

icon

Best answer by inboxingmaestro 1 February 2023, 05:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Hi Suchi,

Not sure about your updated setup va what was before - Is the root domain a subdomain (send.example.com) or TLD (example.com) in your updated setup? Or is it like the root domain is example.com and sending domain is send.example.com?

Technically, the root domain is a visible FROM domain whereas the sending domain is a Return Path subdomain (sending domain) visible in email headers.

Just FYI - One account can only have one sending domain applied to itself at a time. The account can however change the sender address (aka the from address) for its individual campaign / flow emails that could be different to the default from-address for the account.

Now to answer your questions -

1. Yes, you can use the same domain for both.
  2. Why would you like to change the default sender address?

Regards 

Mohsin

Badge +3

@inboxingmaestro Thanks for the reply.

• My default sending domcontact@60beans.com which is being used by Hubspot and other communications
  • Now, we started to using Klaviyo and I am of the opinion to setup a separate domain for CRM as crm.60beans.com. The DNS is updated and it is applied
  • My root domain still remains the same, I guess
  • When I go to Contact Information, it is contact@60beans.com

My Question is:

1. Do I need to change the from address ? If yes, then what should be it?
  2. I want to continue my sends from contact@60beans.com as the new IP warming is not done yet. 

I am little confused on this. Attached 3 screenshots.

Userlevel 7
Badge +60

Great stuff @inboxingmaestro

@suchi_klavier, changing your from address is really up to you! So long as you’re using the same sending domain, it wouldn’t matter what sending address you use. Though, it is typically best practice to be sending from an address you have access to ensure it is legitimate. 

Warming is a crucial step in setting up a dedicated sending domain. Skipping it can lead to lasting impacts to your sending infrastructure and reputation that can take quite some time to repair. As mentioned in the Warm your sending infrastructure subsection of our How to set up a dedicated sending domain Help Center article:

If you are a new, qualifying Klaviyo account starting on a dedicated sending domain or using a newly registered domain (registered within the last 30 days), it is essential to warm your sending infrastructure in the first 2 to 4 weeks after setting up your dedicated sending domain. Warming your domain strengthens your sending reputation. Depending on what data you are bringing over to Klaviyo and the use cases you have, you will need to follow the warming or platform introduction process applicable to you.

David