Solved

Email Received AND Bounced

• 4 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

I have a profile that shows the last several emails we sent were received, and that those same emails bounced (soft – mailbox unavailable/full). Most show the bounce with the same timestamp as received, but the most recent send shows the bounce several hours after it was received. I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this, and if there is a way to know which metric is true – my guess is that the emails bounced. Also, I’m guessing the 7 soft bounce rule that suppresses a profile will not apply in this case, since it looks as though emails were received in between the bounces – correct?

Screenshot showing the same emails being received and bouncing

Screenshot showing details of bounced email

icon

Best answer by Brian Turcotte 25 January 2024, 18:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @JessFosnough!

I’m going to check on this internally and I’ll update the thread ASAP!

Best,

Brian

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Thank you for checking on this, @Brian Turcotte. Since I posted the initial question, I’ve found more thanb 100 profiles with the same issue. Any updates from the internal team?
Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hi @JessFosnough!

My apologies for the delay here! This is typically caused by forwarding where the forwarding email is bouncing.

Essentially, the recipient did receive the email, but then the recipient email most likely has a forwarding system set up which forwarded to another email(s), which then bounced. Since it’s the original email that was forwarded, the bounce respond relays back to Klaviyo with the original recipient’s signature.

In order to reduced the impact this has on your deliverability, I’d recommend to list clean more frequently, and remove these bounced individuals as it’s more likely that this profile is either a bot or inactive.

Here are some great resources on List Cleaning:

Best,

Brian

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Thank you @Brian Turcotte!

We do have a sunset flow that targets inactive customers, but I will most likely supress these users as well. Thank you!